Author Topic: May be going to Italy next year!  (Read 1471 times)

pendragon1980

May be going to Italy next year!
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
My aunt and uncle are renting a villa in Tuscany near Florence for a month and has invited us to come stay with them for a week! We would need to pay for our own travel expenses but lodging and most food would be on them. What an opportunity!

I know *nothing* about traveling into Europe. I'm only been out of the US to the Caribbean and Canada. I have so many questions.  What we should use credit card for and what we need to pay cash for, cultural differences, tipping? Geez, I'm almost overwhelmed.

Aunt mentioned all the families would be have equal share to the villa's kitchen. I don't know yet if that means each couple (aunt and uncle, me and DH, my dad and stepmom) would be cooking on their own or each would take a turn cooking for the group.

I'd appreciate any and all info and tips.

Probably alot of these questions as she figures out details. But I'm so excited my head is spinning!

Kiara

• My dragons!
Re: May be going to Italy next year!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
Personally, I use a credit card for whatever I can.  However, most US cards aren't chip and PIN, which means you'll have a harder time using them in Europe.  What I've found is that major sites will take US cards (I always just explained politely and never had a problem), but smaller areas may not.

Shopping on the street, you'll need euros.  I usually just went and ordered them from my bank, but you can also use an ATM in Europe.  (Getting them beforehand helped me know what I was spending on vacation.)

Rick Steves' Italy books are very good on customs, tipping, good local food....I'd see if they have them at the library, then order a used copy from Amazon if you like it.

And get stuff together for your passport if you don't have one already!   :)