Author Topic: The missing teddy bear (long).  (Read 3027 times)

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
The missing teddy bear (long).
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
I was recently hired to work at a hospital. During orientation yesterday it was impressed on us that we should be good ambassadors to the hospital. One of the laundry workers was on hand to tell us this very touching story as an example of how to go above and beyond.

The laundry is located across town from the hospital (this will factor in later). They received a call in the early morning about a missing teddy bear but didn't find it until late afternoon. The laundry worker who found it thought about putting the bear on the laundry truck so it would arrive the next morning. Then she decided that since she was going by the hospital on her way home that she would deliver it herself.

At the hospital she was directed to a room where a woman who was in the last stages of cancer was staying. The laundry worker said, "I have your bear." She put in on the bed. The woman never responded. She was looking at a picture of two small children taped to her bedrail, stroking their faces. Laundry worker wasn't sure what else to say so she left to go home.

The next morning, laundry worker received a call from the head nurse, thanking her for bringing the bear.  Head nurse told her that the woman with cancer had been dying. She and her husband hadn't wanted their two small children to see their mother like that. The kids had picked out the teddy bear for her so she could have something of theirs in the last moments of her life. It turned out that the woman had died not long after laundry worker had brought the bear. If it had been placed on the truck, it wouldn't have reached her in time.

The story brought tears to the eyes of everyone in the room. I think it was a great example of how the smallest action can have a huge impact in someone's life.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: The missing teddy bear (long).
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
 :'( How sweet
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:00:51 PM »
I love that story!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
That is so touching.  It just made me tear up.   :'(

gmatoy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »