Author Topic: Underage drinkers  (Read 10213 times)

RoseRose

Re: Underage drinkers
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm a 19 year old college student in America, and I only drink at home or at a religious event where wine is an important part of the ceremony.  I don't go to parties and stuff.  The only exception to this was my recent vacation to Israel with a group of college students/young adults, due to the fact that the drinking age in Israel is 18.  I happen to like the taste of some alcohol (not beer, though) but, that's the only reason I drink it at all, I like the taste, or it's religiously important.  I don't go out partying (I have a strong fear of recieving a MIP), but I have the feeling that when my friends start turning 21 (this summer), I will have a few drinks with them, in private.  I happen to feel that if at 18, you are considered an adult, then you should be an adult when it comes to drinking.  And if you're not an adult, then why are you allowed to vote?  And I may not even have a drink then, when my friends are 21, because it IS illegal (though I will still have them get cooking wine for when I make dinner :) )

But, until I graduated high school, I never had a drink of alcohol without my father knowing about it, and being there.  Parents are the ones who should decide for their kids, especially if it is illegal in their country.  (I haven't formed views about other countries, where the drinking age is below 18, I haven't spent enough time considering it.)

I hope that made sense...

Pixie

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 02:56:05 PM »
In my home NO ONE under 21 gets served alcohol.  No exceptions.  I don't care if they are active duty military, if they are under 21 the answer is no.  My Hubby is going to be 44 in a few weeks, there have been plenty of times he's been in overseas locations were alcohol is not allowed.  The law is the law, I didn't make the laws, and I won't break them for anyone.  Of course I'm also the hostess who takes car keys at the door.

I'm totally uncool, and I'm fine with that, all my friends are still alive.

johelenc1

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »
I'm not sure how you approached the sitaution afterwards with your son, but it might be a great opportunity to talk about how real peer pressure is and how even you, an adult, gave in to your friend even when you didn't want to and thought it was wrong.  You could apologize for setting a poor example and talk about how important it is to really be willing to stand firm in your convictions and do the right thing.  You could also tell him how you are going to talk to the mom and tell her how you feel even though it will be hard and awkward and you are afraid of risking the friendship, but it's the right thing to do.

Although, a hard conversation, it could really be one of those great bonding life lesson moments.  I would lovingly also be sure to mention to him that he shouldn't think that because mom made a mistake he would be off the hook if he came home with alcohol or drugs - just so it's clear the conversation isn't about a free pass.  But I think acknowledging how hard it is to stand up for what you believe in under pressure could open up a really nice dialogue for all kinds of things.