Author Topic: S/O of Things You Shouldn't Laugh At - Request for Inappropriate Songs for Wake  (Read 10654 times)

Cutenoob

Was your dad ever..really really opinionated and not easy to get along with?
Dennis Leary - I'm An A$$h0le. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KDAicF0Yo
One year I showed that to my boyfriend - in pure humor. He liked it so much, I got him the album for Christmas.

Sometimes I'm humming that, and don't even know it. *blush*

kareng57

• Super Hero!
You all are AWESOME! "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is EXACTLY right as the theme song for the wake - especially given my dad's views on all things religious and spiritual. \

Thank you all so much. Your thoughts and prayers, and especially your twisted sense of humor, have been an enormous source of strength and comfort to - far more than I can say in words.

Twistedly yours,
Vorbau

And the version that we played (my BIL took care of it) included Michael Palin saying quickly shortly before the ending  "recorded tapes available in the lobby!".  That made it all the better, really.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ

Burnin' Love by Elvis
Burn For You by John Farnham
Stewart/Colbert '16

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I am very sorry for the loss of your Dad.

Sorry to hear about your dad.   Truly the first thing that comes to mind is some Monty Python bits.  Was he a fan? I always get a big laugh out of the "Bring out your dead" scene from The Holy Grail movie, or the Dead Parrot Sketch from the Flying Circus series.

There's always John Cleese's eulogy for Graham Chapman...

Or The Pogues version of "Worms", or "Turkish Song of the Damned" or "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" (which I'm rather amused to note is currently being used in a family car ad...)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
My BF and his bro played Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky" for their dad's funeral.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

deety

• woodland pixie
  • chunga!
My BF and his bro played Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky" for their dad's funeral.

My uncle's funeral had Bob Dylan's "Everybody Must Get Stoned" played on accident.  It was played softly while everyone was coming in to the funeral parlor; my dad about had kittens, Mom & I were cracking up.  It was...fitting, really.  ;)

gingerzing

sorry about your dad. 

My dad's funeral was the one that my aunt and I both thought that "Dead Skunk In The Middle of the Road" would work as a third song.  (We live in the midwest, he sang it EVERY time we came across a skunk while on a drive...which was often.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95qOOix0U0

Monty Python is a great choice. Actually about anything that use to be on Doctor Demento would also probably fit. 

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
I'm sorry about your dad, but love the macabre sense of humor. Laughter is the best way to get through things.

Horrible suggestion, but if he passed after a long illness, Warren Zevon had the same sense of humor and wrote a song after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The lyrics are extremely NSFW, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDdqubE7zQ

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
I'm sorry about your dad.

When my godfather died, the funeral home picked the music. This was a bad idea. They played Send in the Clowns and Don't Cry for me Argentina???

Victoria

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
I am sorry for your condolences, but I have my own:

A New Sound by Tony Burrello?

Your dad will hear a lot of it when he gets there. :)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
I'm sorry about your dad, but love the macabre sense of humor. Laughter is the best way to get through things.

Horrible suggestion, but if he passed after a long illness, Warren Zevon had the same sense of humor and wrote a song after he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The lyrics are extremely NSFW, but here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDdqubE7zQ

I love that one. Another good Warren Zevon song with slightly more family-friendly lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNC3_ToEEH4

Vorbau - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you are able to have such a great sense of humor; laughter definitely helps in times like this!!

JeanFromBNA

Vorbau, how did the wake go?  How are you doing?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
I am seriously thinking about throwing an End of the World party on Dec 12.  If I do, I am totally using these songs as my playlist.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
When my godfather died the crematorium chose the music. They played Don't Cry for me Argentina and Send in the Clowns, obviously the first two CDs to hand.  ::)

Victoria

rain

I am seriously thinking about throwing an End of the World party on Dec 12.  If I do, I am totally using these songs as my playlist.

I thought the end was supposed to be on Dec 21st - but I'll admit I got that from a fictional story about the Maya "reset"
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"