Author Topic: I fear for the English language  (Read 12709 times)

Ginya

Re: I fear for the English language
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »
Ow.... I think this guy was just dense and short of your parting remarks there was nothing that was going to get through to him.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
And, as an aside, who on earth uses the word "chicks"?

<raises hand>

LOL.  I have to admit saying something like this as we were trying to get out of the stadium after a game:

"Hey dude - did you see that chick? She totally walked directly in front of you and then came to a complete stop.  Srsly?  Who does that?"

I use it, too. And chica. And "Hey, lady." Let the flogging begin  :P ;) :D

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

SoCalVal

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
If you don't think the local management will care, or if they blow you off, pass on their response to corporate.

In fact, don't call, email. You want a digital paper trail.

If they still don't respond, I'd contact the Better Business Bureau (assuming you are in the US).  Believe it or not, you CAN complain about poor customer service (which I have).  Complaints have to be followed up on by the business being reported, and the BBB WILL address the situation.  If nothing else, it'll put that ignorant yahoo on notice for his boorish assumptions (and I really wonder about the woman who would date such a person...).

LadyStormwing

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
UPS guy? Was he good looking and did his uniform fit nice? .... Ooops was that another stereotype? :P

You have *no* idea...  :o My dad is a UPS guy, and my mother still hears comments like that. (Actually, my father is pretty handsome and very fit, though we kids give him a hard time over the fact he's going bald.)

Also, I can completely understand where you're coming from, OP. I'm a whiskey-drinking, Resident Evil-playing female. Some men have a hard time wrapping their brains around that.  I don't spend much time with those types. :) Cheers!

Drawberry

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
As an aside, guys like that still exist in the world? They must have decided what a woman was really like in their head when they were 12 years old, and never took a look around them once.

Haven't been 'round these parts in many months but I came across this and had to share a little tid bit.

Many friends, Boyfriend, and I are interested in fighting games. Several of these friends are women as well, most much better then myself and can wipe the floor with anyone foolish enough to go against them. One of these friends that I shall call Frizzies competed in a small scale tournament ( I cannot recall the game, this was many years before I knew her) and after she won the man she had competed against flipped out and declared something to the tune of "She can't win, she's a girl! Girl's can't win"

Mind you that this was an adult male estimated to be in his late 30's, my friend at the time would be in her late 20's.

Maturity much?

Mikayla

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 08:50:12 PM »
I got nuttin', except you write well.  That was fun to read!

I get the same thing with fantasy football.  Guys at work or whatever will talk about how their wives/SO's hate the NFL season and they ask if I'm understanding.  It's hard to explain that *he* is the one refilling our beers and bringing the hot munchies out of the oven, while I remind him to stop chatting.

If I'm feeling frisky, I point out that I've stopped requiring he wear an apron.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
I'm a gamer girl too...Anthony and I play a few online games together and some console games together but he doesn't like to play against me because I usually win.

One of the games we play together is Uncharted Waters Online and someone in the in -game chat kept insulting Anthony and telling him what an idiot he must be to believe that I was a woman until finally he was shut down by being succinctly told that he knew for a fact I am a woman because we live and sleep together and if I'm not a woman, I'm doing a pretty darn good job of hiding it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
I got nuttin', except you write well.  That was fun to read!

I get the same thing with fantasy football.  Guys at work or whatever will talk about how their wives/SO's hate the NFL season and they ask if I'm understanding.  It's hard to explain that *he* is the one refilling our beers and bringing the hot munchies out of the oven, while I remind him to stop chatting.

If I'm feeling frisky, I point out that I've stopped requiring he wear an apron.

As long as he's wearing pearls (referencing Barbara Billingsley in Leave it to Beaver) then he's still dressed properly for serving snacks & drinks.....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?