Author Topic: Need help with bible quote asap :)  (Read 1342 times)

Rohanna

Need help with bible quote asap :)
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
Hey-

I'm a bit of a heathen, but one of my best friends and his bride to be are very religious (Christian).  I'm ordering their present tonight, but I was hoping to add a bible verse to this:

http://indigonight.com/

So it needs to be something "short"- preferably a single line. I was raised RC, but it's been so long for me that I'm out of the loop on what someone who practices would appreciate.

It would be the small text under the larger place/date text, so it's not going to be in your face, I just thought they might appreciate it.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Need help with bible quote asap :)
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
How about any of these? These are more in line with the picture itself.

Genesis 1:3-5

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning葉he first day.

Genesis 1:6-8

And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning葉he second day.

Genesis 1:9-13

And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good. Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning葉he third day.

Genesis 1:14-19

And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. God made two great lights葉he greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning葉he fourth day.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:15:26 PM by WillyNilly »

snowdragon

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
If this is a wedding gift how about
 Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.( King James Version)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »
These are more "love" orientated.  I particularly like the one bolded sentence from Song of Solomon.  And Corinthians is classic for a wedding.

1 John 3:1  See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.

Ephesians 4:2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,

1 John 4:7  Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.

Song of Solomon 8:6-7  Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

Ephesians 4:2-3 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Philippians 2:2  complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:18:33 PM by WillyNilly »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Or

Mark 10:6-9
"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'' For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
For a wedding gift, the old standby is always good.  It's 1st Corinthians 13:13: "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

If you want something longer, the complete passage from 1st Corinthians 13 is good, too.

Virg

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Willy, I was going to suggest the Love Chapter as well.   You beat me to it. :)

dawbs

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:35 PM »
There's always "I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine" (from Song of Solomon 6:3)

or, as others have said, 1 Cor. 13 is 'the love chapter'

or

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him預 threefold cord is not quickly broken.

(although, uh, you may want to skip that last bit  >:D)

pwy a wyr

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:22 PM »
How about Ex 13:21
By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.

I'm making an assumption here that your friends would follow Jesus in their lives from your description.
btw, that's a really lovely present!

BusyBee

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
Sorry I don't have anything to add but that is an awesome gift.  I'm saving this idea - Thanks!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
I love so many of the suggestions,and my favorite might be the one suggested from "Song Of Solomon."  That is such a beautiful book of the Bible, very romantic, almost a little *racy* in parts, but wow, does it paint a beautiful portrait of the romantic love we mere mortals experience.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 04:52:22 PM »
I think many of the bible verses sound like something they would say to one another, so I probably wouldn't do that.  But maybe their first names and their wedding date.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
This is a bit O/T, but I have a question about the "Whither thou goest" verse. It's beautiful, but the context is the death of husbands. To summarize, a woman's husband and two sons die, and she is going to return to her homeland. One widowed daughter-in-law leaves her, but the other tells her mother-in-law she will stay with her "whither thou goest."

Edited because I forgot the question: do people who use the quotes in wedding not know the whole chapter, or do they ignore it, or just hope others don't know the context, or what?

Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
I had the Ruth verse recited at my wedding, knowing that I was going to a land I had not lived in before, but was the city my DH had gone to school in and lived a a child.  We had struggles together and apart over religion, and that was the make-it-or-break-it factor for me. 
We would both be away from family, only having each other, and our religious faith to help us. 
I did not know how things would turn out, but I had faith that choosing him and God was the right path. 
Almost twenty years later, it still is!

As for a verse for the gift, how about-
anything from here-

Philippians 4:4-9  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me用ractice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Mark 12:28-30   And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, 展hich commandment is the most important of all? Jesus answered, 典he most important is, 践ear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.

This one I have in a frame with a wedding photo-
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kckgirl

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:04:33 PM »
Psalm 19:1

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." (King James Version)

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." (New International Version)
Maryland