Author Topic: Probably over-thinking this, but is it enough?  (Read 4118 times)

Fidgets

Probably over-thinking this, but is it enough?
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
Hey, all!  We're going to have a BBQ in two weeks that's pretty much evenly divided between vegetarians and serious carnivores.  Our veggie friends are very laid-back, "No, no!  There's plenty here to eat!" sorts, but I want to make sure we're not short-changing them.  They're all fine with eggs and milk products, just no actual meat/meat derivatives.  So far, the menu looks like this:

BBQ'd marinated flank steak
Hamburgers (we know a couple that will only touch beef if it's ground up.   :o )
Potato salad
Green salad--we'll have bacon on the side for anyone that wants to add it to their salads and a couple different dressing options.
Mixed grilled vegies--potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, fennel bulbs, asparagas, etc. with aioli on the side for dunking.  (Veggies will either be done on another grill or under the broiler so I don't get them in contact with the meat.)
Fresh fruit salad.
A couple pies with ice cream available for desert.
Chips and crudites, fresh salsa and a choice of other dips to start.

Between the salads, grilled veggies and dessert, is that enough?  Should I do spanokopita, too?  Too much?  Arrgh!  I hate the thought of anyone leaving and telling their SO, "Let's stop and get something to eat on the way home.  I'm starving!"

jmarvellous

Re: Probably over-thinking this, but is it enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
I would strongly suggest veggie burgers or veggie sausages. Mixed grilled vegetables are more of a side dish.

Field Roast brand fake sausage is great; Morningstar Black Bean burgers (frozen) are everywhere in my experience and are among the most universally well-liked items. Smart Dogs fake hot dogs or Boca Spicy Chick'n are fine alternatives if that's what you find.

They grill up as fast as or faster than meat.

The rest of your menu is good!

O'Dell

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
Vegetarian here. Vegetarian baked beans would be a nice addition. I like some soy "meats" but others don't. If you want to have some on hand to offer it would be nice, but not necessary.

Maybe a pasta salad? Or hummus and pita bread? Unless the vegetarians eat a sandwich made with a burger bun, the meal is heavy on vegetables. While you have a wide variety of "dishes", it basically boils down to vegetables with some fruit and dessert. Legumes and grains are what I'd be missing to make it seem like a substantial meal.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Oh Joy

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
It's enough.  But...carnivore here...I'd LOVE a good black bean burger on the grill.  Especially homemade if you have time to play with recipes.

Spike Keeper

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
Grilled portabella mushrooms. Brush a little balsamic with olive oil and herbs on both sides and throw on the grill. Top with cheese and roasted peppers or tomatoes and serve on a bun as a hamburger.

lovepickles

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
I second the veggie burger or some other non-meat protein. Potatoes and veggies aren't enough.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »
A protein - a cheese platter, a bean/corn salad, or even just a big bowl of mixed nuts!

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
You have two main dishes for the meat eaters but no main dishes for the vegetarians and that's what I think is missing. I mean, yeah, they can make a meal of sides but it's always nice to have a main too. So even if it's not something that you're grilling, especially if you're trying to avoid having to keep one part of the grill meatless, just something that can be considered a main dish.

I would suggest a (warm if possible) pasta dish. Something like mac & cheese or fettuccini alfredo or even something like noodles with feta & spinach. Then they can partake of the grilled veggies, potato salad & green salad as sides, as they are meant to be.

cheyne

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
I would strongly suggest veggie burgers or veggie sausages. Mixed grilled vegetables are more of a side dish.

Field Roast brand fake sausage is great; Morningstar Black Bean burgers (frozen) are everywhere in my experience and are among the most universally well-liked items. Smart Dogs fake hot dogs or Boca Spicy Chick'n are fine alternatives if that's what you find.

They grill up as fast as or faster than meat.

The rest of your menu is good!

I am not just asking this of you, jmarvellous, but I have a general question about veggie "burgers", "hot dogs" and "chicken" patties.

If a vegetarian is so because of a moral objection to meat, why are they eating veggie burgers, hot dogs and "chicken" patties?  These items were originally made of meat, there is no historical precidence for them being veg*n, and I would think the meat associations would turn off a moral veg*n.  I have read on this very site that certain brands of veggie "burgers" have a very meat like consistency and taste.  I am having a hard time understanding why a vegitarian wants to eat something with a meat-like taste and consistency.  Wouldn't they be the opposite and not want meat associations in their food?

I like lowspark's ideas of main dishes.  There is no association with meat products, they are delicious and filling, and will make the veg*ns feel like a complete part of the celebration.

frogonmytoe

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Cheyne, some people stop eating meat because they don't like the taste. They will shy away from meat substitutes.

More often, it's because of moral objections or health reasons. There's nothing immoral about enjoying a "hamburger", as the issue is the source of the food (the treatment of the animal during their life and how they are killed) and not the presentation in the slightest.  I still prefer veggie burgers to beef, even though I fell off the vegetarian wagon a while ago :P because the two times I've had a beef burger it gave me an upset stomach. (Filet mignon, on the other hand, suits me just fine again! or turkey burgers!) 

(there may be exceptions, but I was veggie for almost 10 years, and the only reason anyone I knew ever shied away from meat substitutes was they didn't LIKE the taste/look of meat or they were avoiding too much soy or processed foods.)

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Cheyne, I am a vegetarian and have absolutely no moral objection to meat.  I'm perfectly fine with veggie burgers (easier to grill than a pasta salad, say).

frogonmytoe

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
For the OP - I would be in heaven with the addition of mac and cheese and veggie burgers! At a minimum, veggie burgers for protein. Oooh those portabellos would be great too.... I love veggie food :P

O'Dell

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
There are many reasons a person becomes a vegetarian, so it's impossible to generalize how each would feel about veggie burgers. FWIW, Morningstar products were recommended to me by meat eaters that had discovered them while they were dieting and loved them. Another person I know doesn't eat meat because it makes her sick, so for her it's a nice substitute. Ditto other people who are vegetarian for other health reasons.

I'm not vegetarian for health reasons, but I still find them to be handy when I make a meal that's sorta' meat and potatoes with meat for my husband (he cooks it). I can just heat one up and have a more substantial meal if I'm hungry. My husband also eats them sometimes.

Some people don't like the flavor or for reasons similar to yours. Frankly, I don't question why anyone puts anything in their mouth. It's a very individual decision. It's impossible to generalize about people who meat, right? Same goes for vegetarians.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
I don't like the taste of meat substitute so it may be a good idea to ask your vegetarian friends about those.  I do agree more protein is needed.  Pasta salad with beans (or just a bean salad), deviled eggs, portabellos, cheese, etc.

Isometric

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
I also agree with vege sausages/burgers. But as a herbivore myself, I would bring my own alternative, or at least ask the host, they can be more expensive. (My omnivore friends love them too) Roasted vegies - yummy! Thickly sliced red capsicum (peppers??) also go really nicely.

Hi Cheyne, from my POV, it's not the way food is shaped (i.e. hamburger pattie, hot dog, chicken breast) that creates a moral objection in the eyes of vegetarians and vegans, but the fact that it's made out of animal meat. I guess it's easier to make soy and vege protein products shaped like that than say, brocoli shaped.

Also, it's nice to have a "main" part of a meal, along with sides like mash, or vegies. They are also a good way to obtain some of the nutrients vegos need, like iron and protein, because, let face it, most of us love variety in our diet, and eating beans every day isn't much fun! And I do appreciate that with vegetarian sausages and burgers, I could fairly easily integrate into a BBQ like Fidgets without too much hassle, rather than making an entirely different meal.