Author Topic: kanye west denied access in restaurant.  (Read 15350 times)

lady-cereal

kanye west denied access in restaurant.
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:22:45 AM »
So, last week kanye West had a concert here in Belgium. he had reserved a place in a restaurant for him and his entourage for some time at the end of the evening. He was late at that restaurant by an hour, without calling the place.

The restaurant owner denied him access, told him that the kitchen was closed now, and he should go over to the pizzeria across the street, he went there and had a member of his entourage call to the first restaurant to tell the owner who he just denied access to.

This sparked a gigantic wave of discussion between newspapers. every paper that wrote about it agrees that the restaurant that denied him access should have let him in, because now they lost a big order.

I just tend to disagree to all the journalists, am I right in this? I don't believe kanye should have been fed just because he could be famous. who even knows if he was actually planning on ordering much food? Just figuring out what the opinions are on a etiquette blog about all this.

the only english article thing I found about this:
http://afroeurope.blogspot.be/2012/06/kanye-west-turned-down-at-restaurant-in.html

(disclaimer: sorry for my english)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: kanye west denied access in restaurant.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:02:02 AM »
Kanye has already struck me as petty and spoiled.  The fact that he had a reservation that was held and he was a whole hour late means he prevented reataurant #1 from making money.  He could have called and changed the reservation but he didn't care about them.  So when he did arrive I can see why they didn't want to deal with him - he had already been disrespectful to them.  He only proves them right when he calls them to taunt them from the other restaurant.  If he was going to have any further contact it should have been an apology and maybe some money to make up for what they lost waiting for him to show up for an hour.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:25 AM »
He was late, his spot was gone.

He should have turned up on time. As it is, he has cost the restaurant a lot of money by holding an empty table for him.
NE England

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:12 AM »
Kanye West and etiquette in the same sentence is a very amusing concept.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »
He was late, his spot was gone.

He should have turned up on time. As it is, he has cost the restaurant a lot of money by holding an empty table for him.
POD. Celebrities expecting special treatment is one of the things that annoys me. Having one of his entourage phone up to complain is just petty.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 07:49:07 AM »
Where was the flunky with the phone when they were running an hour behind?
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »
Kanye has already struck me as petty and spoiled.  The fact that he had a reservation that was held and he was a whole hour late means he prevented reataurant #1 from making money.  He could have called and changed the reservation but he didn't care about them.  So when he did arrive I can see why they didn't want to deal with him - he had already been disrespectful to them.  He only proves them right when he calls them to taunt them from the other restaurant.  If he was going to have any further contact it should have been an apology and maybe some money to make up for what they lost waiting for him to show up for an hour.

Exactly!

Also, if it's true the kitchen was closed then he's doubly-spoiled for expecting them to open it just for him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:20 AM »
I would be more likely to patronize a restaurant that did this. The owner/manager showed respect for his/her employees by closing on time and letting them go home on time. I grew up among the entitled and privileged who thought their names meant they don't have to obey the rules seeing people with that attitude put in their place warms my heart.

At least Kanye West isn't bellowing that the owner is a bigot. That is the only good thing I can say about his behavior.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Of course every newspaper is shocked and appalled that the restaurant didn't immediately call its employees back and grovel in apology for the delay to Kanye. They have spent many long years convincing the public that celebrities are important, and entitled to nothing but obedience and admiration from us lowly peons, who should be ecstatic if we get a chance to be in their presence. They must be horrified to see someone treat an "A lister" as if he were just a regular person.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
According to the comments, he booked for 3pm and showed up at 4:14. The kitchen is always closed between 4 and 5.

No sympathy. Blowing off your reservation is rude. The attitude on top of it? Incredibly rude. No sympathy here, and the snotty phone call makes me think even less well of him than I did before.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
If anyone else went in when the kitchen was closed they'd be denied food too.  That restaurant wasn't required to recognize Kanye.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
If anyone else went in when the kitchen was closed they'd be denied food too.  That restaurant wasn't required to recognize Kanye.

Media response: "But ... but he's a CELEBRITY! We've built an industry on reporting their doings as if they were gods come to walk among mere mortals! How DARE a restaurant act as if he were just like "anyone else". Why, if that attitude got prevalent, we might even be asked to start reporting on things that are actually important. And that's actual hard work."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

LOL! Yep, I can't blame the restaurant at all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
If I'm running late for any appointment, I call and apologize.   Why should he get any special treatment?  He seems to think the world revolves around him.

CakeBeret

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »

I agree with this. :) He's the most special of snowflakes, so I have no sympathy for him. If it was a normal person running an hour late for their reservation, you'd better believe the restaurant will give it away if you don't call. His celebrity status does not automatically equal preferential treatment.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."