Author Topic: Stand mixer and what can I make  (Read 2938 times)

Only me

Stand mixer and what can I make
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
Hi

I just finished a cake decorating course last week and am really inspired. HOwever everytime I had to make cake or frosting for class, I actually had my mom do it (or I bought it) because I don't have an electric mixer.

So i went out and got a Kitchenaid Pro 5 series plus stand mixer and just love just looking at it in the kitchen. I know I can make cake and cookie batters, but what else can I make. I comes with a flat beater, whip and dough mixer. So I"m guessing maybe bread also, but could use some suggestions.

Onlyme

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Stand mixer and what can I make
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »
cheesecake, whipped cream, meringue, biscotti, brownies, basically anything that you would normally put into a bowl.  If you have the attachments you can grind meat (my dad loves doing that for some reason).  My mom uses it to mix up dough for indian flat bread - really speeds up the process.

AustenFan

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:21:15 AM »
I haven't met a recipe that can't be improved by a KA mixer. I love mine so much I bought a 2nd so I could do bigger batches. :)

You should get a copy of the Mixer Bible, and a spare bowl. KA has a forum with great tips and recipes, too.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Pizza crust, whipped cream, butter (if you have the patience to whip the cream that long), pudding. Pretty much anything that needs to be mixed or whipped, or uses a dough or batter.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
I additon to cakes, frosting, and cookies, I use mine for whipping potatoes,  making pasta and bread dough, mixing up meat for large batches of meatballs, &  Whipping egg whites for meringues.  I also have the meat grinder attachment so use it frequently for grinding meat.  I used it yesterday to make a cream cheese based dip for fruit.

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:11 AM »
I make foccacia in mine a couple of times a month (blogged it a while back): http://aussiefoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/homemade-focaccia-with-rosemary-and.html

I also whip egg whites for souffles, macaroons and meringues, I have a pasta attachment (I have a Kitchenaid), and have been drooling on  getting the icecream attachment but have to wait until we have a bigger freezer.

An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Those mixers are awesome for bread.  I don't even use my bread machine anymore because the mixer works so well.

Elisabunny

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I make foccacia in mine a couple of times a month (blogged it a while back): http://aussiefoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/homemade-focaccia-with-rosemary-and.html

I also whip egg whites for souffles, macaroons and meringues, I have a pasta attachment (I have a Kitchenaid), and have been drooling on  getting the icecream attachment but have to wait until we have a bigger freezer.

There's an ice cream attachment? ;D  *scurries over to the KA website*
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

CakeBeret

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »
I use mine to do all kinds of baked goods...muffins, cakes, cookies, etc. I don't use it for bread though, because I'm one of those nuts who loves making bread by hand. ;)

I also make spreadable butter in mine, because I like real butter but want the spreadability of margarine. Soften one stick of butter and whip with (approximately) 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup oil. I add some salt too. It will look dangerously runny, but put in a plastic container and refrigerate overnight, and it'll be a nice, smooth, spreadable texture.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »

From one Elisa to another, I say you deserve it!!!!
An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
I use mine for just about any baking application:  pastry, cookies, bread, whipping cream, icing, mixing sugar with paste food colouring to make coloured sugar.  I haven't bought any attachments yet but I've been thinking about the pasta attachment.  I might look into the shredding attachment, too, with an eye towards ditching the food processor.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Only me

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
wow! thanks for all the suggestions, this is great.

AustenFan - I will try your suggestions, that's great. I love baking and figured KA would be the best.

Shotochick - Ice cream attachment, oohhhhhh!.... My mom will never leave my place :)

Onlyme

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »

I used the ice cream attachment for the first time, for our Memorial Day barbecue.  (We made cinnamon ice cream and cantaloupe ice cream -- both were delicious.)  I thought the attachment worked pretty well, and we'll definitely be using it in future.

One problem to keep in mind though -- it takes about 15 hours for the ice cream bowl to freeze, and after one use you're supposed to refreeze it.  In other words, you can make only one batch of ice cream per day.  If you need larger amounts, then you'd need to plan ahead and start making batches in advance.

I confess that I did not plan ahead.  I just mixed the second batch of ice cream in the unfrozen bowl, and then stuck the pretty-soft ice cream in the freezer.  It actually froze up fairly nicely!

Only me

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 07:44:33 PM »
OK I think I am definately getting the ice cream attachment.