Author Topic: Stand mixer and what can I make  (Read 3031 times)

Jaelle

Re: Stand mixer and what can I make
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
If you just finished a cake-decorating course ... perhaps you would like to learn how to make marshmallow fondant? Tastes much better than the store-bought stuff, but you preferably need a stand mixer with a paddle and a dough hook. ;) And there are soooo many decorating applications ...

I have the recipe in my head after all these years; if you'd like, I'll hunt down the recipes with full instructions for you. If I just type it out I'd probably miss something.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
And that reminds me - homemade marshmallows! FAR better than what you get at the store.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Miriam

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
I love my stand mixer. The most used recipes are for hair and face masks.

Hair mask:
1 avocado
1 Tb. Olive Oil
1. Egg Yold
1/2 Tsp. Coconut Oil

Whip on low for five minutes, then on high for 2. Shampoo hair, then put hair mask on for 10+ minutes. The mixer makes the mask so smooth and creamy like salon conditioner.

Face Mask:
1 Tb. Coconut Oil
A few table spoons of your favorite moisturizer

Whip it! Leave on face as long as needed.
"All Was Well"

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »
Can't believe I'm just seeing this.  I POD to what everyone else recommends here.  The pasta attachment is great and once you get a pasta recipie down, it doesn't really take that much longer to make.  There is also a filler/sausage attachment that is awesome.  I actually use it to fill pastries more than for sausage making, but it is really handy.

Kitchen Aid or maybe Cuisinart has a tabletop ice cream maker.  It's a much better and easier product to use than the ice cream attachment to the mixer.  And you can buy multiple bowls to make multiple batches in a short amount of time

Only me

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »
Elephantschild I would be honored to try the your recipe and maybe sugared up after that. I wonder if homemade marshmallow would taste good in s'mores

Pastrygoodess - I will look into an ice cream maker as you mention. Thanks for suggestions.

Miriam - never would have thought of those things so the recipe is cool. I am trying to stay healthy.

AustenFan

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 12:42:39 AM »
Homemade marshmallows take smores to a whole new level! (as do salted caramel chocolate bars) We have been known to toast them over the burner on the stove in the middle of winter. :)

A cooking blog called Smitten Kitchen has a recipe for Smore Pie that is absolutely divine, but I use milk chocolate for the filling because I find dark bitter.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
If you make homemade marshmallows, then you must make Fluffernutter at least once.  it's especially divine in smores with Cinnamon Graham Crackers and Dark chocolate

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
I've used a KA stand mixer since the first day I was big enough to help my mom (so well over 40 years ago.) I currently have the 6qt model and, for the most part, enjoy it. I use it a lot for bread -- depending on my free time and our need, I may make 4 or 5 loaves in one week. We often have pizza night and it gets used for that. It's great for whipping cream or beating eggs to the stiff peak stage.

We have the food grinder attachment and have used it to make meatloaf, breakfast sausage and gyoza filling. We also have the juicer attachment, but that only gets used when we have a ton of fruit to squeeze; for instance, when we're having a party and need a lot of punch.

A few warnings, though: The standard gears are not very strong. I stripped mine kneading bread and I'm certain that it wasn't overloaded. It was a warranty repair and the replacements seem to be working fine. If you do a web search, I think you'll find that this is a known problem. The other issue we have is that there is something loose in the switch and it won't always start. Wiggling the switch or giving the body a firm whack clears the issue. It's likely that flour gets into the slider switch causing the problem. Finally, the food grinder is plastic and is showing some cracks -- the original one that my mom had was metal and held up better. Ours still works, but it's not going to make the 50 years that the previous one did.

There have been days when I wished that we had a 2nd bowl. I'm also looking into getting the pasta press and/or pasta cutters. They used to make a pasta press that was just some extra plates for the food grinder, but have discontinued that.

Despite those issues, I love it. Mrs.k2002 likes it too, which is big considering that she's a Cuisinart food processor person. We have both and will switch back and forth depending on what we are doing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
Grating cheese. Plus all the other stuff people mentioned. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »
Art, I got a second bowl and two bowl lids for Christmas a couple years back. Now I don't know how I lived without them. I use the two bowls all.the.time.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."