Author Topic: 1st birthday party menu / general help  (Read 8958 times)

saffron

1st birthday party menu / general help
« on: June 10, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »
Hi E-Hellions!

My little girl is turning one soon and we're having a party. We don't have any family close by so it is a 'friends' party.

I have never really hosted a big party. But since you are all so helpful I thought I would run through my menu / party ideas with you and see if anyone has any suggestions.

We're looking at about 15 little kids plus 1-2 parents / child as well as a few close neighbors. (I know its a lot but we really can't cut anyone out. She has a few different playgroups and has been attending parties all year. Most of these people know each other.)

So 15 toddlers + 30 ish adults. and about 3-4 older kids.

1- I have rented my neighborhood clubhouse. It has a kitchen and a decent sized room. There is also an outdoor patio area.
2- Party is from 12:00-2:30. (In between naps for my circle of friends - but yes, over lunchtime.)
3- I have hired my kindermusik teacher to come and lead a class (about 45 mins - not sure what time yet - but I'm thinking around 12:45)
4- I will be bringing toys to keep the kids occupied.
5- The 'theme' is rainbow/colors

Menu: (suggestions here are most appreciated!)

- sandwich platter (30 sandwiches on small buns) - chicken salad / tuna salad - from grocery store.
- wrap platter (serves 12-15) - turkey/havarti and roast beef/ cheddar - from grocery store
- cheese platter (serves 15) - cubed cheese assortment with a few grapes - from grocery store
- pumpernickel/ sourdough bread and spinach dip (serves 16-18) from grocery store
- hummus
- veggie tray - make at home will be a veggie rainbow (anyone know of any blue/purple veggies?)
- fruit tray - make at home will be a fruit rainbow
- animal crackers
- puffs
- rainbow goldfish crackers
- salsa
- blue corn chips
- cake (is a costco cake going to be too much? it's either that or an 8 inch layer cake w/ cupcakes on the side)
- ice cream (blue bell individual cups)

- beer (stella)
- soft drinks (coke / coke zero / sprite)
- water (bottled)
- juice (apple / ??)

too much food? not enough food? is the variety OK?

Also: loot bags - for the little kids - crayons / bubbles / cookie / stickers
any suggestions for a couple of 9 year olds (one boy and one girl)? an 11 year old  girl and a 13 year old girl?

Last question: Is it rude if we don't open gifts at the party? I don't want the munchkin to get overwhelmed and I don't want people to get bored watching a gift opening - but I also don't want to seem unappreciative of the gifts she might receive.

Thanks  - I'm probably over-thinking it - but I'm a little nervous and just want people to come and have a good time.

hannahmollysmom

Re: 1st birthday party menu / general help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
We had my granddaughter's first birthday party yesterday. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, salads and fruits. (Grandbaby loves watermelon.)

We ate 1/2 hour after the party started to allow for late arrivals. We then did the presents, with parents helping so it didn't last too long. I think guests like to see the gifts. The baby held the card while Mom opened the gift and then showed it to her.

We had cake (little cake for the babe, and cupcakes and ice cream for everyone else), after the presents.

It was enjoyable, and no babies got overwhelmed, and the older kids enjoyed it too.

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »
It sounds like a lot to me.  What are puffs?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Hi E-Hellions!

So 15 toddlers + 30 ish adults. and about 3-4 older kids.

2- Party is from 12:00-2:30. (In between naps for my circle of friends - but yes, over lunchtime.)

Menu: (suggestions here are most appreciated!)

- sandwich platter (12-15 sandwiches on small buns) - chicken salad / tuna salad - from grocery store. (Are you able to keep these cold for the mayo in it?  i would put these on ice if possible.  Since you are getting them from the grocery store, you can use the lid on these, fill with ice and set the platter on top.)
- wrap platter (serves 12-15) - turkey/havarti and roast beef/ cheddar - from grocery store (I would actually decrease the sandwich platter and up this platter to 30, this would be more popular with the adults)
- cheese platter (serves 15) - cubed cheese assortment with a few grapes - from grocery store (this I could see the kids eating mostly from, as the grocery store to put more grapes on this.)
- pumpernickel/ sourdough bread and spinach dip (serves 16-18) from grocery store (This seems extra, with all the stuff you have below)
- hummus
- veggie tray - make at home will be a veggie rainbow (anyone know of any blue/purple veggies?) (cooked purple potatoes?)
- fruit tray - make at home will be a fruit rainbow
- animal crackers
- puffs
- rainbow goldfish crackers
- salsa
- blue corn chips
- cake (is a costco cake going to be too much? it's either that or an 8 inch layer cake w/ cupcakes on the side) (If you can find them, they sell mini cupcakes or 2 bites cupcakes at the grocery store/bakery.  Perfect size for kids and cleaner. :)  And regular sized for the adults.  Plus no need to cut and serve, plates and utensils)
- ice cream (blue bell individual cups)

- beer (stella)
- soft drinks (coke / coke zero / sprite)
- water (bottled)
- juice (apple / ??)

I put my comments in bold.  I think it sounds like a fantastic party.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
I think you are perfectly find reserving presents for later. She's only one - it would be difficult to hold her, and everyone else's, attention.

Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »
Your party sounds great, let me just throw out a few suggestions....

My DS's first birthday was in March. We played a "future telling" game in which I put out a blanket with a bunch of objects signifying different careers, and we got a picture of him holding the thing he picked. Everyone got a kick out of telling him "Pick the car!" "No no, he's a dancer, grab the dance suit!" He ended up grabbing a toy Minion (from "Despicable Me"), we all cheered at his future Evil Boss asperations, and he dropped it. It was fun, and now there were a bunch of toys out for the kids to play with for a bit.

We used cupcakes. It is tradition in my family to have the birthday child smash his/her birthday cake (I walked all over mine). I didn't see a reason for the waste, so I only gave him a cupcake. Silly kid picked it up and delicately ate half without dropping more than a few crumbs.

And I agree that people like to see a kid open the gift they gave. If your child is good at ripping paper, go for it; it's a hoot to watch them get all excited about making a paper mess.

TZ

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:26:10 PM »
In your shoes, I would buy a couple trays of assorted deli meats and cut up a few loaves of French bread to allow people to make their own sandwiches - especially if the tray includes salami.  :) The problem with the pre-made sandwiches is that they pretty much always have mayo, which as Zilla noted, will need to be kept cold. I also happen to have an extreme mayo aversion, so I might be just a little bit biased!

I would be a little irritated if I brought a gift and didn't get to see the birthday girl open it. Unless, of course, she grew tired and cranky and had to be put down for a nap before present time rolled around. I guess I'm one of those weird people who actually enjoys watching other people open gifts.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:53:36 AM »
sounds lovely.

I wouldn't care about the present being opened or not - since this party is in honor of your one year old, and you are afriad she might get overwhelmed, i would let this one go (or play it by ear).

for the "entertainment" part - maybe speak to the teacher, it might be better to have two shorter sessions (one at 12-12.20 and one closer to the end of the party).

for the food -
Since (again) this is a kiddie party, I would have some more kiddie oriented food (not just goldfish and puffs) - most kids i know like plain food and not "fancy" sandwiches. even making your own PB&Js (cut into quarters), or pitas with cheese, or nuggets etc. this in addition to the other things you mentioned.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

saffron

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I will post an update after the party (July 1st).

:)

saki

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »
In your shoes, I would buy a couple trays of assorted deli meats and cut up a few loaves of French bread to allow people to make their own sandwiches - especially if the tray includes salami.  :) The problem with the pre-made sandwiches is that they pretty much always have mayo, which as Zilla noted, will need to be kept cold. I also happen to have an extreme mayo aversion, so I might be just a little bit biased!

I don't think Saffron is in the US, so the sandwiches probably won't have mayo - more likely to have butter which is ok to sit around for a bit.

Purple vegetables - purple sprouting broccoli?  beetroot?

ACBNYC

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »
sounds lovely.

I wouldn't care about the present being opened or not - since this party is in honor of your one year old, and you are afriad she might get overwhelmed, i would let this one go (or play it by ear).

for the "entertainment" part - maybe speak to the teacher, it might be better to have two shorter sessions (one at 12-12.20 and one closer to the end of the party).

for the food -
Since (again) this is a kiddie party, I would have some more kiddie oriented food (not just goldfish and puffs) - most kids i know like plain food and not "fancy" sandwiches. even making your own PB&Js (cut into quarters), or pitas with cheese, or nuggets etc. this in addition to the other things you mentioned.

I agree, I think the kids would like pb&j if there is no one who is so allergic to peanuts they can't be in the same room with them, or a deli platter for a make-your-own sandwich so people can choose condiments.

It's been my experience with my own daughter's party, and her friends' parties, that gifts are always opened at home after the party. Especially for a party of this size, I would imagine your little one would be overwhelmed and the other kids would get restless pretty fast.

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
It sounds like a lot to me.  What are puffs?

They are like cheetos (without the orange cheese) for toddlers. They come in 3 different flavors.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »
I love the future telling idea, especially that he picked one of the minions! LOL! I love them!

Mine will be 1 in November so I still have a way to go, but we usually do very low key parties with just family for the first birthday.   This time around since we're living in our home state, the IL's will be able to attend. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

takeheart

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
The only potential problem I can see is the option of food for kids. Yes, there are snacks for toddlers, but I don't know how toddlers feel about about eating tuna salad and chicken salad or wraps? Not that they can't eat those them, but it doesn't seem too "toddler friendly." I like other poster's suggestions of PB&J sandwiches, chicken nuggets, plain meat/cheese sandwiches, etc.

I would also play-it-by-ear for the opening of the gifts.

DS turns one mid-August! We decided that the theme would be Razorback/tailgate. Since it's mostly adults with very few children attending, the menu is catered more to adults with options for kids too. We're doing hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, and shrimp on the grill. Pigs in a blanket for the kids. Sides include pasta salad, fruit tray, vegetable tray, mini-twice baked potatoes, chips, cheese dip, and of course cupcakes and ice cream!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
Your menu sounds lovely!  I kept my child's first BD party menu very simple by ordering in pizza, (we had the party at home), figuring that was something everyone of all ages could and would eat.  Yours sounds much more elaborate and like you put a lot of thought into it.

Clearly, you know your guests very well, and know what they and their kids will eat, so I think you're fine, foodwise.

Goodie bag for older kids are trickier.  How about some "summer stuff", such as some sidewalk chalk & squirt guns, (and bubbles are appropriate for all ages.)

If there is any possible way, I'd at least try to do the gift opening at the party.  People love watching the birthday child open their gift.  When Russ was little, I would just sit him on the floor and sit with him, with my husband nearby to hand over each gift & with a large trash bag for the paper.  It really didn't take that long and was always a highlight of the parties.   You could probably also enlist one of the older children a a "gift assistant." 

Take lots of pictures and video!  Russ's first birthday was long before the advent of phone cameras or digital cameras, and unbeknownst to us, our ancient camcorder lost all ability to record sound halfway through the party.    :-[ 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical