Author Topic: how's this for a dinner a week after the wedding?  (Read 2067 times)

kaybee

how's this for a dinner a week after the wedding?
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »
my friend and i are making a dinner for a young couple who are getting married in august.the party will be about a week after the wedding and there will be  about 25 people(all adults) there.the meal will be dairy only and kosher--so no shell fish.

the plan is to serve everything buffet style but to have seating for everyone
this is the menu we have come up with--suggestions,additions??????

appetizers

gazpacho-served in filled cups on the table
twisted bread sticks with eiter pesto or sundried tomatoes or cheese baked inside
vegetarian liver
cut up vegetables with dip

main course--poached salmon
green salad
baby leaf salad with fruit
pasta salad
lasagna?
onion leek quiche
another quiche?

dessert

fruit soup
cake
cookies
watermelon/grapes/cherries

drinks--water
white wine
champagne

Gumbysqueak

Re: how's this for a dinner a week after the wedding?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
It sounds fabulous. The only advice I can offer is just one green salad. Skip the one with fruit since you are serving fruit with dessert.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
I agree with Gumby about the salad. I think also skip the lasagna...it's a very rich heavy dish, and everything else you're serving is so light & summery.

Maybe also try putting some of that fruit in the wine & making some sangria! ;)
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

kaybee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
OP---there might be a few kids--in which case we'll do the lasagna---but am pretty sure there won't be

so maybe another kind of salad??????maybe a cherry tomato with basil and pine nuts and olive oil?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:25 AM »
sounds lovely!

for the main:
I would skip both pasta suggestions and serve a lighter carb (rice? wild rice mixture? quinoa?) and some kind of cooked veg (I like to serve salmon with something green, I don't know why!) like brocolli, green beans, etc.
so i would suggest:
fish
grain
veg
possibly one quiche
green salad
additional salad?(I agree that one green salad is enough, though I would probably add another fresh salad (like cabbage, or carrot, or peppers etc)

for the starters - are you serving bread? if so, i would put a few "schmears" as well (hummus, butter, etc)

my friend and i are making a dinner for a young couple who are getting married in august.the party will be about a week after the wedding and there will be  about 25 people(all adults) there.the meal will be dairy only and kosher--so no shell fish.

the plan is to serve everything buffet style but to have seating for everyone
this is the menu we have come up with--suggestions,additions??????

appetizers

gazpacho-served in filled cups on the table
twisted bread sticks with eiter pesto or sundried tomatoes or cheese baked inside
vegetarian liver
cut up vegetables with dip

main course--poached salmon
green salad
baby leaf salad with fruit
pasta salad
lasagna?
onion leek quiche
another quiche?

dessert

fruit soup
cake
cookies
watermelon/grapes/cherries

drinks--water
white wine
champagne

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
I think your original menu sounds wonderful!

I would keep the lasagna simply because it's an additional main dish and not everybody might like/want salmon.

If your going to keep the lasagna, maybe swap out the pasta salad for a nice steamed veggie, but you already have the two green salads.

I think it depends on your ingredients for the pasta salad. Some are heavy (mayo-based dressings) and some are light (with spinach, sundried tomatoes, vinaigrette dressing).

I like the idea of the two green salads, I would include the fruit salad because it sound refreshing.

"maybe a cherry tomato with basil and pine nuts and olive oil?" while that sounds delicious (add some fresh mozzarella chunks?) I think you're getting pretty heavy on the veggie side . . . I think you should keep your first choice of the fruit salad.

Would you please post a recipe for your baby-green fruit salad and your pasta salad? Ingredients do make a difference for the all-around menu.

Quiches are a nice and elegant touch. If you decide to do two different ones make sure that they are completely different, otherwise what's the point? KWIM? Maybe the second quiche with mushrooms, spinach, poblano peppers (or something with a bit of a bite to it.)

Stop me now! ;D

I think your original menu is perfect.

kaybee

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
OP here--thanks for all the suggestions.

have decided against the fruit soup and will do a fruit plate.

will post the baby green fruit salad wheni find it