Author Topic: Advice for our July 4 party?  (Read 7364 times)

mj

Re: Advice for our July 4 party?
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
I'm glad to see you're providing the sides!  As I was reading through this thread, I kept thinking of our annual 4th of July experiences.  A certain family member generally claims the 4th as her party, so she has become known for it.  She asks every year for people to bring sides and every year it is difficult on guests.  We will have to ask her several times for a head count, explain to her what we are bringing in detail so she can have appropriate ice or heating for it.  Then there are the guests who don't come early, so sometimes there are only a few sides eaten up before an avanlance of more sides come when it gets cooler out.  Basically, you'd be dealing with some type of food prep all day considering it is an open house. 

I think it would be more work than just to prepare the food yourself and let people come and go.  Glad to see you made that decision!  Our family member complains every year how much work it is, yet hasn't changed her way of hosting to make it easier on her.

workerbee

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
OP here. And this is why I keep coming back to ehell! I really appreciate all the planning help -- you guys opened my eyes to some potential planning pitfalls. At this point, I don't know why I thought asking people to bring sides was a good idea.  :)  I can totally imagine the party going like mj mentioned.....a headache for both guests and hostess.

Now I'm excited for the party!  Will be doing a "hot dog bar" with various fixings, chips, fruit (watermelon and grapes), and veggie tray (celery, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers) with hummus. Drinks bar with tea, lemonade, water, and beer/wine. Ice cream cones or popsicles and banana pudding for dessert (unless I get inspired by some other yummy dessert recipe).

EmmaJ.

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
It sounds wonderful!  :-)  Be sure and post afterwards and let us know how it went.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
OP here. And this is why I keep coming back to ehell! I really appreciate all the planning help -- you guys opened my eyes to some potential planning pitfalls. At this point, I don't know why I thought asking people to bring sides was a good idea.  :)  I can totally imagine the party going like mj mentioned.....a headache for both guests and hostess.

Now I'm excited for the party!  Will be doing a "hot dog bar" with various fixings, chips, fruit (watermelon and grapes), and veggie tray (celery, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers) with hummus. Drinks bar with tea, lemonade, water, and beer/wine. Ice cream cones or popsicles and banana pudding for dessert (unless I get inspired by some other yummy dessert recipe).

Both bolds above -- I've posted questions about parties that I was planning and it went from "Oh, no! What did I get myself into!" to "Now I'm excited!"

I completely agree. Fellow e-hellions are the greatest! ;D

Glad you're excited for your party! What you are planning on serving sounds perfect for an easy, relaxed, come-one-come-all type of day.

Enjoy! ;D