News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 02:35:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Cajun Navy  (Read 1413 times)

pattycake

The Cajun Navy
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
I came across a headline that mentioned this lady downloading an app that was kinda like a walkie talkie, and how she became part of the Cajun Navy. If, like me, you can hardly imagine what is happening in Houston, read this.  Tears were streaming down my face by the time I finished reading, and even now I am having a hard time keeping them back as I type. My prayers are with you, Texas, Florida, and everywhere else that is affected.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/I-downloaded-an-app-And-suddenly-I-was-talking-12172506.php

Nikko-chan

Re: The Cajun Navy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:13:42 PM »
I don't have the words.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
I love this line:

I saw a meme on Facebook today that said, "Someone needs to erect a statue honoring the regular dude with a bass boat." It was meant to be funny, but it's actually spot-on.

The first responders get a lot of well deserved accolades but the volunteers who just show up, hoping to help, especially the ones with some organization?  Can make all the difference.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
There are so many stories like this. I'm happy to say the woman in this story was my daughter's teacher. Thanks for sharing. I had not read the story.

I also had the opportunity to feed and thank a few of the Cajun navy who came to so many Texan's rescue. Yes, we do need to erect a statue to "regular dude with a boat".

pattycake

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 02:03:33 PM »
There are so many stories like this. I'm happy to say the woman in this story was my daughter's teacher. Thanks for sharing. I had not read the story.

I also had the opportunity to feed and thank a few of the Cajun navy who came to so many Texan's rescue. Yes, we do need to erect a statue to "regular dude with a boat".

Wow. Your daughter has an AWESOME person for a teacher. I don't know if I could have coped with what she did, and I agree, boat dudes are right up there with all the other first responders.

Susiqzer

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
And now I'm crying at work. :)

Thank you for sharing that... absolutely amazing!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

me too

pattycake

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »

me too

Yeah, I was glad I was home when I first read it. But then I tried to tell a couple of people about it - and I had to go find Kleenex as the waterworks started up again just thinking about it.

Mommyoops

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
I teared up reading that. People just helping people.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
*sniff* I've got something in my eye.  :'(