Author Topic: How much is petrol/gas where you are?  (Read 22905 times)

CLE_Girl

Re: How much is petrol/gas where you are?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Cleveland OH here

Gas is jumping around a lot right now, I've seen as low as $3.45/gallon and as high as $3.89/gallon for regular.  I paid $3.59 on Monday.  Which would be $1.03/Liter

Spent the weekend in Chicago IL area, saw gas at around $4.10 to $4.25  for regular. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
Around 1.30 per litre = US$1.95 per litre = US$7.41 per US gallon.

And that's almost 10% less than it was a few weeks ago.

Yes, I always laugh when I hear Americans complaining about the price of fuel. Plus, whenever I've been over there, I've noticed that we've actually spent about the same on fuel as we would in the UK because the cars are so heavy on consumption (in general).

I've only driven in Florida in the US, which is flat, straight, paved roads pretty much all the time. I'd wager that about 90% of people on the roads could drive a normal, compact car and it would fit their needs perfectly (and yet 90% of people were in HUGE cars). And even the 15-year old micra I used to have (until about a year ago) got about twice the mileage that the car we rented in Florida did (and that was almost brand new).

My SO has a commute in a nearby city, and drives 30 miles (47km) each way every day.  The US is so spread out that this is actually not that extreme a commute... there are people who drive fifty-plus miles each day.  For reference, I just looked it up.  M's commute is the equivalent of Hyde Park in London to High Wycombe and back every day.  Or for Sydney area Australians, University of Sydney to Werrington.

veryfluffy

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »

My SO has a commute in a nearby city, and drives 30 miles (47km) each way every day.  The US is so spread out that this is actually not that extreme a commute... there are people who drive fifty-plus miles each day.  For reference, I just looked it up.  M's commute is the equivalent of Hyde Park in London to High Wycombe and back every day.  Or for Sydney area Australians, University of Sydney to Werrington.

That's not all that unusual here either. Plenty of people drive 20 to 30 miles each way to work each day or further if they want to live in the countryside. Alternatively, they will take the train for up to an hour each way or even longer every day (which can cost more than 500 per month).

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
Colorado here... I just checked the GasBuddy website, and they're reporting lowest regular near my office at $3.59. The lowest I saw on my way to work this AM was $3.54.

One of the Conoco* stations near my house was $3.59 on Monday AM. Tuesday AM, it was at $3.73!

*Around here, they tend to be the most expensive, often by quite a bit.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
Seattle here. We're looking at $4.25 a gallon around here.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 01:28:37 AM »
Last time I got gas here --Midwestern small country town--, it was around $3.5/gal. If I feel like complaining, I call my mom in Southern France. Over there, it's around 1.5/liter, which comes up to about $7/gal. Yikes.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »
Last time I got gas here --Midwestern small country town--, it was around $3.5/gal. If I feel like complaining, I call my mom in Southern France. Over there, it's around 1.5/liter, which comes up to about $7/gal. Yikes.

Point of order, though... aren't not only the transit system, but also the pay scale better in Western Europe?

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:44 AM »
I'm really jealous (and a bit  ::) )

Just curious - why?

I just paid $1.56 / litre in rural Australia.

Jealous that Americans pay so much less in petrol than we do.

::) because Americans complain that petrol is shockingly expensive.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »

Point of order, though... aren't not only the transit system, but also the pay scale better in Western Europe?

Depends where you live. While the train system in France is pretty darn awesome, city/inter-city transit varies. My mom lives in a small town and she is dependent on her car to get out of town. The pay scale is better for minimum wage but not  for anything above. A French certified elementary school teacher starts around $19,000/yr. and, after 30 years, will get between $37,000 and $45,000. Unemployment is terrible.

People drive fuel-efficient cars. That's a big difference. Otherwise, they just adjust their spending.

Redsoil

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
So, in general, how far do people here drive to work?

For me, a round trip is 140kms.  Open rural roads, so a relatively easy commute.  About 50 minutes or so each way.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Penguin_ar

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »
$3.15  in Arkansas

Teenyweeny

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »

For me, a round trip is 140kms.  Open rural roads, so a relatively easy commute.  About 50 minutes or so each way.

My parents each travel around 20 miles round trip to work, and I'd say they have fairly short commutes (UK), at under 30 minutes each way.

My mum earns around 40000 p/a, of which she'll take home around 30000 after tax. Google route planner estimates that she'll use anywhere between 3-5 worth of fuel daily, depending on the fuel economy of her car.

If one conservatively estimates that she works 40 weeks out of the year, she'll spend anywhere from 600-1000 a year on fuel for her work commute alone, around 3% of her net income.

Bear in mind the average UK salary is around 26000 p.a.  before tax, so around 20000 net. Someone with my mum's commute could therefore be spending up to 5% of their net income on petrol to get to work. It's not insignificant.

Bluenomi

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 11:35:40 PM »

I drive about 17km to work which depending on the time of day and traffic can take anwhere from 15 to 40 mins.

My Dad on the other hand drives about 100km each way and leaves at 5:30am to avoid the worst of the traffic. A really good run takes about 45 mins, average is about 1:25-1:30 and bad traffic and a prang on the F3 and it can be hours.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
My house is about 2 km from my office, 5 minute drive.  I can walk it but the way in in the morning is all downhill and the way home at night is all uphill.  So I only do the walk when I don't need to take a lunch and am only carrying my purse and I have no where I need to be right after work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »

80km round trip, the majority of it is rural roads / highway.  It takes about 40 minutes each way.  Which is way better than my former 15km commute when I lived in Brisbane, took 40 mins minimum, sometimes up to 3 hours if there was a bingle somewhere - everything would slow down to a crawl.  Maybe the tunnels have improved that, it's been 3 1/2 years since I moved to Tasmania.