Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

"What a waste of an education"

<< < (5/5)

wheeitsme:
I think that this was a very effective use of "Complete Silence".  Because, really, what could be politely said in that moment?

SamiHami:

--- Quote from: wheeitsme on June 12, 2012, 07:30:19 PM ---I think that this was a very effective use of "Complete Silence".  Because, really, what could be politely said in that moment?
--- End quote ---

Yup, totally agree. What more could be said that would be effective?

Regardless of the debate going on in this thread, in that conversation and in that instance, complete silence was absolutely perfect.

still in va:
i agree that silence was the only response possible, and that you owed no explanation. 

however, it might have been helpful to know at the outset that this conversation happened a couple of years ago.  and FYI, i would remove the admission that it was a vent.  vents usually get locked or deleted here.

Knitterly:

--- Quote from: hobish on June 12, 2012, 06:46:37 PM ---

--- Quote ---I'm a little stunned that people are supporting the OPs father in this.
--- End quote ---

... and what was an interesting little debate sinks to condescenscion and "I can't believe you think like that" in less than a page. It's been fun.

OP, i wish you the best and hope you can have some understanding for your dad. I know if it was my dad who had supported me in breaking into law or another male dominated field to hear me say i want to be a mommy he would be shocked and hurt. Maybe yours does, too. Give him some room.

--- End quote ---

My statement was not intended to offend nor to condescend.  I apologize if my post came across that way.

Several assumptions were made, which turned out to be very incorrect.  I truly found them to be very surprising.  Nothing in the original post indicated (at least to me) that the OP's parents paid for her education or even supported her.  Based only on the information at hand, complete silence is/was the only possible recourse.

I just wanted to address that last part of your statement, though, which indicated that my comment caused offense.  It was not intended to, so I am sorry that it did.

kareng57:

--- Quote from: Knitterly on June 12, 2012, 10:04:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: hobish on June 12, 2012, 06:46:37 PM ---

--- Quote ---I'm a little stunned that people are supporting the OPs father in this.
--- End quote ---

... and what was an interesting little debate sinks to condescenscion and "I can't believe you think like that" in less than a page. It's been fun.

OP, i wish you the best and hope you can have some understanding for your dad. I know if it was my dad who had supported me in breaking into law or another male dominated field to hear me say i want to be a mommy he would be shocked and hurt. Maybe yours does, too. Give him some room.

--- End quote ---

My statement was not intended to offend nor to condescend.  I apologize if my post came across that way.

Several assumptions were made, which turned out to be very incorrect.  I truly found them to be very surprising.  Nothing in the original post indicated (at least to me) that the OP's parents paid for her education or even supported her.  Based only on the information at hand, complete silence is/was the only possible recourse.

I just wanted to address that last part of your statement, though, which indicated that my comment caused offense.  It was not intended to, so I am sorry that it did.

--- End quote ---

I didn't see any "assumptions" that the OP's parents had paid for her education.  The question was simply asked, and I think it was valid - it's not unusual for parents in North America to pay for, or at least assist with, university education.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version