Author Topic: Celebrity Cheater Outed Via Twitter  (Read 13140 times)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
Celebrity Cheater Outed Via Twitter
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
Link to article: Model Melissa Stetten Live-Tweets Married Actor Brian Presley’s Attempt To Hit On Her

During a plane ride, Melissa Stetten found herself seated next to a man that: (1) Identified himself as an actor; (2) Wore a wedding ring; and (3) Kept hitting her.

Annoyed by his advances, Melissa tweeted the conversation with this man. She provided his first name, Brian. Her tweets are public. Based on the information she tweeted, someone in her Twitter stream identified the actor in question. Brian is actor Brian Presley. He is married, with a five-year-old kid.

Brian Presley denies the encounter took place.

Melissa has gotten some backlash over the whole thing. The Daily Mail called her out as a liar based on a joke she tweeted about winning the lottery and the fact that she lies about her age (this is fairly common amongst models).

IIRC, etiquette does not permit one to out a cheating spouse. I would assume this extends to live tweeting a conversation with enough details for the public to identify the celebrity in question. I do not feel sorry for the actor. He is married and should not be hitting on other people. Melissa did not provide his last name, someone else did.

What say you eHellions?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:24:38 PM by C0mputerGeek »

jmarvellous

Re: Celebrity Cheater Outed Via Twitter
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
First, I thought the tweets were hilarious and I find Stetten's blog pretty witty, too.

BUT from an etiquette standpoint, what she did was uncouth and inappropriate. That's probably why it's funny.  ???

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with what she did.

He had no expectation of privacy with a stranger on an airplane.  And it's a redeye, he was being rude to her and everyone else around them by trying to socialize so much.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
As long she had been clear with him that she wasn't interested I actually don't see anything wrong with what she did.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
What is she doing tweeting while on a plane ride?  I thought you're not supposed to use the wireless capabilities on your phone or computer while flying.

If it's true, I don't think she did anything wrong.  I would think differently if she encourages him to talk just for the purpose of tweeting about it and making fun of him. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:11:37 PM »
She didn't do it to ruin him, or even out him, she was being hit on by an annoying guy and tweeted.  Such is life.  That someone else identified him, oh well.

I mean would this have been different if it happened 10, 20, 40 years ago and she had been a guest on The Tonight Show and told the country about the annoying guy simply named "Brian" who would not shut up and opened a sunny window on a redeye flight?  Same situation different forum, same outcome. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
I don't see it as all that bad--from the tone of her tweets, I don't think she even actually believed he was a real actor at first, and Brian is a pretty common name; I think she just thought she was tweeting about Lying Dork Brian Nobody and not someone who could actually be identified. The tweets remind me of our tales on here of the various "Jasons" we've known who are ninja Navy SEAL computer hackers.

And he shouldn't hit on other women in a public place if he wants privacy!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »
And, of course, he's saying she lied about the whole thing.

I doubt he's any kind of angel, but I also doubt she is, either.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

Well considering her last Tweet was about him opening the window blind and included a photo of the open window blind, I've gotta say I at least in large part believe her.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »

Well considering her last Tweet was about him opening the window blind and included a photo of the open window blind, I've gotta say I at least in large part believe her.

What a cad!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bramble

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
What is she doing tweeting while on a plane ride?  I thought you're not supposed to use the wireless capabilities on your phone or computer while flying.

Electronic devices only need to be completely off for takeoff and landing, and many planes these days have WiFi on board.   Most of the smartphones have an "Airplane mode", where the cellular signal is off but it allows WiFi to be used.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:33:09 PM by Bramble »

Allyson

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »
I don't seen an issue with what she did--she didn't go out of her way to identify him and post details. She just posted about some annoying guy sitting on the plane next to her. It's not like she got his last named and Facebooked his wife.

The person who did seek out his details and figure out who it was might have done something more questionable.

And so what if she isn't an angel? Only perfect people can be in the right?

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »

Why do you think that she is not an angel?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
Haven't other people on the plane called her out as being the liar, saying he was asleep most of the time. I go the impression she threw a snit because he didn't recognize her.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
Haven't other people on the plane called her out as being the liar, saying he was asleep most of the time. I go the impression she threw a snit because he didn't recognize her.

The Daily Mail published an article stating that Andy Levy disputed her claims. Is that what you're talking about? Levy says he believes what Melissa tweeted really happened.