Author Topic: The annual breast cancer awareness game  (Read 5641 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
The annual breast cancer awareness game
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »
Hi, all:

Remember the FB breast cancer awareness game last year, something about the colour of your foundations?  It's baaaack!

A friend PM'd me, saying that this time it's naming a fruit that corresponds with your relationship status.  It requested that we PM our female friends with the directions and use the fruit in our post somewhere.

Is it rude to "not see this" and not participate?  What happens if my friend mentions it? 

How these games have anything to do with cancer research and awareness, I have no idea  >:(.  In fact, men get breast cancer too; would it be rude to point that out to my friend or should I just forget it?

Lynnv

Re: The annual breast cancer awareness game
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
I find it annoying.  And I ignore it.  If someone were to ask me (noone has), I would say that I don't participate in that kind of game on FB (or in real life either).
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Allyson

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:53:34 AM »
Just ignore it. The more people who don't give this attention, the sooner it will go away. Unfortunately, the people who love doing these things will continue doing them for as long as others also participate. I've seen these things turn into a back-and-forth between those who love this 'awareness' stuff and those who think it's pointless. In my opinion it's better just to let those who love it post their one or two statuses about it.

If, however, you get blasted for not being 'caring' enough personally, feel free to say your piece..preferably in PM not a status.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:06:08 AM »
I must admit, I participated in the first one about the color of our bras. Once I realized that this game was more annoying than helpful, I stopped participating. Whenever I get the message about the latest version of this game, I simply click "leave conversation".

CakeEater

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »
Not at all rude to ignore. Most people actually do ignore it, I think.

I, in fact, wouldn't mind the playing of the game. It's the linking it with some kind of 'awareness' campaign that allows those who participate to feel a) like they've done something useful when they haven't, and b) morally superior to those who choose not to 'help', that annoys me.

Iris

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
Not at all rude to ignore. Most people actually do ignore it, I think.

I, in fact, wouldn't mind the playing of the game. It's the linking it with some kind of 'awareness' campaign that allows those who participate to feel a) like they've done something useful when they haven't, and b) morally superior to those who choose not to 'help', that annoys me.

Agreed. The games themselves seem like harmless, if somewhat juvenile, fun. I just don't see how they are useful is all.

I say it would be fine to ignore it.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

O'Dell

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:54 AM »
Ignore it. If someone asks and you don't want to explain your opinion, tell them you must have missed seeing it and change the subject.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
I never participate. Cancer isn't cured by random status updates that annoy people. I don't justify my non-participation either.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
Not to mention, in this day and age you'd have to be living under a rock to not have awareness of breast cancer.   The games aren't doing diddly-squat for raising awareness, cause some of them have absolutely nothing to do with breasts anyway. There was one, say where you put your purse when you come in the door and preface it with "I like it *by the door*" so it would sound rather naughty.

It can be a fun game, but I fail to see what in the world it's supposed to do to help breast cancer.  If someone really wants to help, they oughta do one of those walks.  Either the Walk for the Cure or Relay for Life. Something that actually puts money towards finding a cure.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
As the wife of a breast cancer survivor, I find these games insulting. The same people that would mock you for not participating are the ones that acted like I was insane for spending so much time sitting at the chemo suite with DP, since 'there are all those nurses up there to take care of her, silly! You should go get your nails done or something!'

Ignore away.

scotcat60

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
As the wife of a breast cancer survivor, I find these games insulting. The same people that would mock you for not participating are the ones that acted like I was insane for spending so much time sitting at the chemo suite with DP, since 'there are all those nurses up there to take care of her, silly! You should go get your nails done or something!'

As a breast cancer survivor I can say that having someone sit with you when you have the chemo is great for the morale.

I've never heard of this "game" and anyway, the screenng programmes, in the UK at least, take care of awareness.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
The worst part of these games, for me, is that men get breast cancer as well.  It's not as well known, either, so the "Tee hee!  Don't tell the guys!" aspect is actually counter-productive to awareness.  If anything, people should be raising awareness specifically for men, because they're the group that's most likely to be overlooked!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:07 PM »
Is it rude to "not see this" and not participate?

Why would it be rude?
Words mean things.

Style_and_Grace

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »

Is it rude to "not see this" and not participate?  What happens if my friend mentions it? 

How these games have anything to do with cancer research and awareness, I have no idea  >:(.  In fact, men get breast cancer too; would it be rude to point that out to my friend or should I just forget it?

Totally not rude to "not see it" and not participate.  Brush the friend off with an "oh yeah maybe later" if it gets mentioned. 

I'm pretty sure these games have zero to do with research and awareness and more to do with annoying friends with crazy vague status posts (which I ignore.)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
The most recent one I saw was saying you're going to another country for 21 days.  My aunt posted she was going to St. Petersburg for 21 days. I thought she actually was going and asked her what was in St. Petersburg.

Turns out it was one of these games.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata