Author Topic: Family and Money Awkwardness  (Read 3729 times)

Figgie

Re: Family and Money Awkwardness
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:10 PM »
My Mom took care of our children many, many times and always refused any money we offered to her.  So, we started putting the money we would have paid for day-care or babysitting into a bank account.  It added up enough over the years that when we gave them the money, it was enough that they could take a two week long vacation and not have to pay for a thing. :)

When we gave them the money, it was given as a "thank you for being the best Mom/Grandma in the world and for being such a big part of our lives."

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »
I think you should get her something that she would enjoy as a way to say thank you.

My sister's MIL watches my nephew and her other grandson for her kids for free as well and she does it 5 days a week. The kids went in for her b-day or Christmas and got her a really nice gift to say thanks.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »
Give her some money to take herself and the cousins out for lunch after swimming lessons (swimming uses a lot of calories) - just in case the kids are "too hungry to wait".  Or the idea of having an outing for the four of you (Grandma, your kid, the cousin, and yourself) that costs "about" the same as the swimming pool fees might be fun, too.

Take photos and give Grandma a few, possibly in a digital frame, so that she can display them.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

*Child chum: Snacks the kids enjoy and adults generally don't have in the house. Capri Suns, fruit snacks, animal crackers, etc.

Love this term!

AustenFan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
I feel that replacing his glasses is my parental responsibility, but they won't hear of it.

Trimmed by me...

I think this perfectly sums the situation up. To parents paying for stuff like swimming lessons, glasses and ridiculously expensive runners (I'm projecting, I know) is a responsibility. To grandparents it's a pleasuse, because they know it will be appreciated and enjoyed.

OP, can you have your child make her a thank you present? Maybe a clay animal they can paint or something? My son recenty made my dad a set of dominos out of pretty rocks he picked out of the river & drew the dots on with a sharpie. He "wrapped" it in a sock (that resulted in me thinking it was a sap until dad opened it. I was wondering what kind of messed up kid I was raising) and made a card. Dad is the least emotional person EVER, and was clearly touched by the gift.   

Autumn Rose

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »
What about a gas gift card?   My mother LOVES those!   
It would help defray her costs of running them around  (and gas is not cheap)
Its also one of those line item costs alot per month....but what can you do?    You have to have gas!   LOL

I think it really depends on her income, also.    Is she living on Social Security or is she living at the Ritz?

I love FIGGY's idea, too.
You have an awesome mom!    And I am sure you let her know that!   ;)

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
*Child chum: Snacks the kids enjoy and adults generally don't have in the house. Capri Suns, fruit snacks, animal crackers, etc.

I love this phrase and plan on using it in the future. Hee!

Me, too!  Love it & will be using.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical