Author Topic: Explain the joke  (Read 4329 times)

Optimoose Prime

Explain the joke
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
I am not British, so I guess this falls under cultural nuances.  Anyway, I was watching The Vicar of Dibley, the one where Harry proposes to her.  Easily get the joke that she doesn't understand that he is proposing to her; it's the joke about Harry's name I don't get.  He say's his name is Harry Jasper Kennedy and she says something along the line of, "Hope that doesn't get a chuckle."   Ok, what's the deal with that?  Which part would get a chuckle?

Teenyweeny

Re: Explain the joke
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »
I think the joke's meant to be that he's embarrassed about his weird middle name, but that her real first name is Boadicea, which is much weirder.

Iris

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's just because Jasper (at the time) was a very old fashioned (and hence funny) name.

It's making a bit of a comeback now though, in a few years time people will be thinking "What's wrong with Jasper?"
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »
I am not British, so I guess this falls under cultural nuances.  Anyway, I was watching The Vicar of Dibley, the one where Harry proposes to her.  Easily get the joke that she doesn't understand that he is proposing to her; it's the joke about Harry's name I don't get.  He say's his name is Harry Jasper Kennedy and she says something along the line of, "Hope that doesn't get a chuckle."   Ok, what's the deal with that?  Which part would get a chuckle?

Jasper is quite old-fashioned. One of those names like "Nancy" which stayed popular in the USA but fell out of use in the UK. Also, the vicar is being a little chippy. It's not actually that funny but she's a bit hurt.

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »
I suppose that's why I didn't get it.  I had no idea that Jasper was old fashioned.  I barely have an idea of what's popular here because I don't hang with families that have small children.