Author Topic: Challenging cooking situation - my very own dinner impossible! Update w Pic.  (Read 4232 times)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Challenging cooking situation - my very own dinner impossible!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:39 AM »

I would pick up a cheap paring knife and plastic cutting board, a cheap pot, a cheap cookie tray (disposable is fine) and a roll of aluminum foil (try the dollar store for all). It will cost less than a single meal out, and you'll more than make up the savings from eating out, or buying pre-chopped vegetables, particularly as you don't have a microwave.  I'm assuming you have some dishes and cutlery to eat with.

With this you can do -

Salads: garden salad, greek salad, tuna salad, egg salad, pasta salad, chicken salad (poach the chicken first).

Pasta: pasta with jarred tomato sauce, or simply tossed with a can of tomatoes. Pasta with vegetables and cheese. Pasta with jarred pesto. Kraft Dinner. Noodles and sauce/rice with sauce.

Soups and Stews: Any sort of canned soup, homemade vegetable soup, chicken noodle soup, vegetable stew, chili, beef stew, greek rice and egg soup, chinese eggdrop soup.

Meat: Poached chicken, spaghetti sauce with meat. Use the foil to line a disposable baking tray and you can bake or grill chicken/fish/pork chops/steak, or wrap in a foil packet with some vegetables and do a moister bake.  Bake your meat, then slice it up and make wraps or tortillas, or poach chicken and stuff it in a pita with some yoghurt and veggies.

Sandwiches, wraps and pitas of all sorts.

Boiled/steamed vegetables, roast vegetables.

Rice - with a cheap pot, I'd do rice with the boiling method, and cook it the same way you do pasta.

For seasonings, I'd recommend an Italian herb mix, a curry powder, granulated garlic, cumin and chili powder for maximum versatility and convenience, plus salt. For other seasonings - a bottle of lemon juice, a bottle of wine vinegar, a bottle of oil, a bottle of soy sauce, a jar of mustard, grated parmesan, butter, some hot pepper sauce will give you lots to work with.

The cheap pot will be okay for boiling, and stewing if you watch it carefully. It won't work well for any sort of sauteeing or frying.

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Microwave meals are cheaper than eating out.

Oh Joy

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Microwave meals are cheaper than eating out.

Problem being that our OP has neither microwave nor pots & pans for their stove, and only has to get by a few weeks so she doesn't mind sort of 'camping.'

NyaChan

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Well thanks for all the suggestions! For dinner the past couple of nights I broiled some turkey ham & put it on top of instant noodles which I made in tupperware  :)  Worked pretty good actually.  I am going grocery shopping this weekend to pick up potatoes and toppings!

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Sorry, kept meaning to post an example of what I made, but only just remembered!

Voila!  Salmon lovingly baked with hand-torn dill butter and borrowed salt/pepper on ciabatta bread   :D

Thanks again for the help and ideas!

cicero

• Super Hero!
looks yum!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools