Author Topic: Would you respond to this Facebook game or just ignore it?  (Read 7265 times)

stormyskies

Would you respond to this Facebook game or just ignore it?
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
This isn't a big issue, but it happens frequently on Facebook. Although the message seems innocuous, somehow I still feel manipulatived.

The following message appeared in my newsfeed and originated with Frida, who lives in my home town and whom I see about twice yearly:

This is a facebook game to see who reads posts or just scrolls. so if you read this, leave one word on how we met. only one word, then copy this to your wall so I can leave a word for you please don't put a word and not copy : )

Frida is fairly new to Facebook and eagerly perpetuates all the "cut-and-paste-and-send-to-all-your-friends" missives that she receives. I consider myself a friend of hers but find these kind of mass copyings distasteful. I wouldn't mind responding with a word, but I draw the line at re-posting on my own wall.

ladymaureen

Re: Would you respond to this Facebook game or just ignore it?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:32:41 AM »
I just ignore. Likewise, I ignore the cancer and other diseases awareness ones, with special disdain for ones that imply you don't care if you don't repost.
She is not counting who does and who does not respond. If she is, you have bigger problems with this friend anyway.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
I ignore them. I figure if someone's going to defriend me over something that silly, they might as well just get on with it.

O'Dell

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
I ignore all games like that, and from what I see of them when my friends do, nearly everyone else does too. One thing about ignoring all games, if I were asked about it I just say I don't participate in any of them and it's nothing personal. Never been asked about it though.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »
I ignore every single one of these. Especially the ones with little digs like, "I already know which of you will probably ignore this."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »
I ignore all that stupid stuff.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »
I just ignore. Likewise, I ignore the cancer and other diseases awareness ones, with special disdain for ones that imply you don't care if you don't repost.
She is not counting who does and who does not respond. If she is, you have bigger problems with this friend anyway.

I ignore them too, and my least favorites are the ones that imply you're "not brave enough" if you don't post it. Because C&Ping a status takes so much courage!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:26:21 PM »
I tend to ignore any postings that give warnings, make promises, etc.

Amava

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »
I ignore every single one of these. Especially the ones with little digs like, "I already know which of you will probably ignore this."

Hehe me too and then I think to myself "Oh good that she already knows I will ignore it, then she won't be disappointed."  :P  :D

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »

Thank you for mentioning this -- I've been wanting to for quite a while now.

Facebook Friends, I truly do appreciate your caring and support, and thank you.  I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings by saying this.  But as someone who has cancer, my big goal is to have as "normal" a life as possible and not think about cancer any more than I must.  One of the things I would much rather avoid is being constantly reminded about breast cancer on Facebook, a place I go to stop thinking about it for awhile.

I know you care.  It's really OK not to post it on Facebook.

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
Feel free to ignore.  If her posts annoy you, it's not at all rude to hide her from your news-feed either.

JustRhon

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
Another vote for ignore. I'd get nothing else done if I played along with every one of those copy and repost requests.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
While I think it's fine to ignore, I have been known to play a game or two. It can be fun to bring up a memory or two with one word. But just because I respond to the game (by choice) does not mean that I feel obligated to repost... unless I want to. And honestly, if I repost, I remove the part making others feel about others having to repost, because they do not have to.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
I ignore all games like that, and from what I see of them when my friends do, nearly everyone else does too. One thing about ignoring all games, if I were asked about it I just say I don't participate in any of them and it's nothing personal. Never been asked about it though.

I never see anybody follow along with that in my circles. Well, the dragon one got a few reports.

Ignore it unless you're interested.

I wish these sorts of game did NOT have the "you have to repost" part, because that guilt trip ruins the fun. I might enjoy the game, but I won't play it if that's on there. That, and the preachy little sermon.

sweetonsno

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »
It's fine to ignore it. It's fine to respond without reposting. If she asks why you didn't repost, say that you prefer to keep your status updates to personal things.