Author Topic: Cute or Annoying? UPDATES pg 3,4  (Read 17241 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Cute or Annoying?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
This falls into the annoying and boring category for me.

PS I think I dated this guy last year!  I can tell you how it ends.  LOL.

Only if you sent him an email saying you didn't feel any chemistry and never heard from him again.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »
I think the first text was ok, but the others were annoying (and boring).

Also agree with PPs comments about the dishonesty factor. He should have really used a more up-to-date photo on the dating site.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 03:48:35 AM »

I would find it annoying, and kind of boring, after a single date. 

When once of us is travelling, my husband and I might trade emails of this sort - mirroring the coming home from work "How was your day?" type of conversations. But I care about how his day went, and would normally chat about it at home.

After one date, with no response from you, it comes across more like you've been added to his Facebook update than actually having some sort of communication.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
^^^^ That's how I felt!  Or that somehow you had been added to his Twitter account.  It bugs me on Facebook when I get stuff like that, and I would have declined any further dates as well.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

workerbee

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »
I feel like maybe texting enables this -- it's so easy to randomly contact a person with whatever crosses your mind.  I often find myself sending my husband a quick text with some thought or question or funny thing. These are things that I would never bother to call him about -- I mean really? Calling and interrupting him at the office to convey my excitement that Nutella is on sale? But with a text it just seems less.....disruptive.

It's a simple way for us to stay connected to one another. HOWEVER, we already have an established relationship.  I would definitely find it annoying if someone did this after one date, if not completely presumptuous. Give me some time to get to know you and be interested in what you're doing every minute of the day before you force it upon me!  :D

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
My mother did call me once rather early in the morning (but way after I wake up regularly) to let me know that grape juice was "buy one, get one free" at Publix. But she knows it is my favorite beverage and I drink it a lot. And it is my mother. And I am over 30. And I do not always check the supermarket shoppers, since I do not receive a hard copy newspaper at home.

Some new person I just went on one date with? It would come across as awkward- unless I told him that I like, say, peaches, and he did send me ONE text to tell me "Hey, peaches are on sale at Winn-Dixie- they look delicious".

Again, it is romantic if you like him, annoying if you dislike him, and awkward at worst if you are ambivalent towards him.
I have pet mice!

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »
My fiance is in touch with me through the day by text but never this type of boring thing.  As much as I love him this would drive me crazy.
93 93/93

poundcake

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I know I'm not the only one thinking "if he's this annoying now, what will he be like after a third or fourth date?" Trust your gut and cut this one loose so one of the people out there who would think this is cute can appreciate him. But I suspect that more people than not would find this kind of behavior to be way too much after a first date.

Arianoor

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:27 PM »
I find it a little creepy honestly, but then, I've been stalked so I'm a bit sensitive.  Over and above the creepiness, he seems a bit self-centered, I think it would have been nicer for him to ask about you, rather than treating you as his own personal Twitter audience.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
I agree with "cute if you're into him, annoying if you're not." But he never should have continued with texts numbers 2 and 3 without hearing a response to the first one. Sure, send out a meaningless text to test the waters, but you don't keep on bombarding the person if you don't get a response.

After the first date, and clearly the OP still needs time to warm to this guy, he needs to back off and allow her to do so rather than scaring her off.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
UPDATE

So, since I started this, he called once (while I was at work!) and then texted me yet again about his day. So that makes 4 texts and a phone call in 36 hours, without a response for me. I must confess, I was a chicken and deleted the voicemail without listening to it.

After he called, I emailed him and said that he was a nice guy, but that we were looking for different things in relationships, so I was cancelling our next date. I then wished him the best of luck in his quest for the perfect woman.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: Cute or Annoying? UPDATE pg 3
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »
He sounds clingy, needy, and awkward at best. Possible future stalker at worst. After all, the number one sign of an abuser is too much interest too soon. He definitely seems way more into you than what you were into him.

I do not blame you for canceling date number two. Had it stayed just at the first 3 texts, I would have given the benefit of the doubt- but would have met him in a public place where I drove to myself. But this was way too much.
I have pet mice!

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
I vote for boring and annoying too. It's awkward and clingy. Especially when you didn't text back to any of his replies - that just makes it more cringe that he carried on.

Like most self-destructive 20-something young girls, I only like men who show no interest in me whatsoever. The less they contact me, the more I want them. Keeps me on my toes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:28:37 PM by Tilt Fairy »

Stormtreader

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:15 AM »
Sounded like he was lonely to me, the kind of guy that wants a girlfriend to have someone to share everything with. I tend to steer away from people like that since they can be super-clingy. I like having some alonetime, and if i wanted to be worrying about whether something could cope for 30 minutes without me id get a puppy :D

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Sounded like he was lonely to me, the kind of guy that wants a girlfriend to have someone to share everything with. I tend to steer away from people like that since they can be super-clingy. I like having some alonetime, and if i wanted to be worrying about whether something could cope for 30 minutes without me id get a puppy :D

I think you nailed it. Now that I think about it, during our date he didn't talk much about himself besides his ideas for future plans for us, which now makes me think that he's waiting for a girlfriend for his life to begin.