Author Topic: tofu sticks?  (Read 938 times)

kaybee

tofu sticks?
« on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
i saw a picture of baked tofu sticks that seem to be breaded........looked up tofu sticks and haveseen mostly fried tofu sticks or baked but with nothing on them---naked tofu sticks??????
should it be dipped in egg or what?make it like chicken cutlets?

anyone have a recipe?

jmarvellous

Re: tofu sticks?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
Can you post the picture or link to it?
There are so many ways to do tofu that it's hard to say what that recipe used without at least seeing it.

I marinate and bake tofu without a breading, typically. But you can prep it like you would breaded baked chicken (I'm guessing on the exact technique from childhood watching mom cook chicken and helping her out sometimes, and from watching cooking shows, as I've been a vegetarian since age 14), certainly. I'm just not sure what was done in this particular case. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I searched Yahoo! for 'breaded tofu sticks' and got nine hits. Some were spicier than others, but they all looked interesting. Some looked simple and some quite complicated.

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
I've made a version where I marinated it and then coated with some panko, I think an egg wash would work too.  But yeah, it would help to see a picture.

sweetonsno

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:49 PM »
An egg wash would work, but if you're vegan (or otherwise don't eat eggs), a cornstarch-liquid slurry might also do the trick.

Here's one that looks good: http://sogoodandtasty.blogspot.com/2010/04/baked-tofu-sticks.html