Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

"Why Don't You Ask Him Yourself"

<< < (2/4) > >>

FoxPaws:
It seems as though she does this for attention - like she wants to be the first person to announce the news and then realizes when you ask for more information that all she's got are the headlines.

I bet dollars to donuts she has no clue how Bob likes Boston or what her brother's allergy symptoms are because she's never bothered to ask them herself. ;) The scene at the dinner table was awful - your poor nephew! - but again, there was a real, "I know something you don't know," quality to it.

How pathetic that she'll stoop to hurting her own children to make herself seem important.

aloe:
Thanks, FoxPaws.  What you say rings true.

kudeebee:

--- Quote from: FoxPaws on June 20, 2012, 06:40:49 PM ---It seems as though she does this for attention - like she wants to be the first person to announce the news and then realizes when you ask for more information that all she's got are the headlines.

I bet dollars to donuts she has no clue how Bob likes Boston or what her brother's allergy symptoms are because she's never bothered to ask them herself. ;) The scene at the dinner table was awful - your poor nephew! - but again, there was a real, "I know something you don't know," quality to it.

How pathetic that she'll stoop to hurting her own children to make herself seem important.

--- End quote ---

How awful for her son!  Some people have no filter on their mouths and don't think about others feelings, just want the drama effect of their statements.

The bolded--totally agree with.  So, quit asking questions about how other's like something or their symptoms, etc.  SIL doesn't want to talk about that, doesn't want to have a deep conversations.  She just wants to do chit-chat with you, so keep it at that level with her and it will be a more "pleasant" conversation as much as that is possible.

BeagleMommy:
SIL:  "Why don't you ask him yourself?"
You:  "Well, I guess that conversation is over."

No?  Evil BeagleMommy is on a roll and I don't know how to get her back in her crate!

aloe:
lol!  thanks, BeagleMommy and kudeebee!

In the past, the way I dealt with her was to talk with her about her favorite subject - her children.  She is kind of a limited person - she doesn't have much interest beyond her own world - her family and her work.

But now, that doesn't work anymore - she comes up with those sharp remarks despite my efforts to interact with her in a pleasant way.

This past year, I "divorced" myself emotionally from my brother's family because of the abusive way she communicates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version