Author Topic: What American recipes would interest you?  (Read 22472 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: What American recipes would interest you?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »
An interesting exercise would be to compare recipes and trace American dishes back to their European origins. 

Yup, Chicken Fried Steak is a variety of Schnitzel.  It's also a variety of several Italian veal dishes.    Pea soup is known any place where peas are known but there are different recipes specific to the location.  Even clam chowder, that's thought to be American, has roots in European fish soups and bouillabaisse.

That's a course I would really enjoy attending.   

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:44 PM »
I hosted an American food party for the Korean exchange students at my college - their favorites were buttermilk biscuits and milk gravy (I made it two ways - with and without sausage, because I had a vegetarian attending).

They also liked bagel pizzas, corn dogs, and funnel cake.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
funnel cakes are universal

Raina

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2012, 08:51:46 AM »
Wouldn't have thought of this myself until an Aussie friend mentioned it during a conversation about pies, but Key Lime Pie apparently is very difficult to find/make outside of the US :( Shame, because it's so wonderful!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
Did we already mention pumpkin pie?  If I didn't  have to defrost my fridge in the next day or so I'd make one right now that it's cooled off here.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
I love Indian Pudding, served warm with vanilla ice cream.

Also, don't forget Carolina style barbecue.

There is also an omelette ubiquitous in Michigan at every restaurant that serves breakfast: Souther Omelette, and/or Country Omelette.  Omelette stuffed with hash browns, sausage, cheese, and smothered in sausage gravy.

Chicken and dumplings.  Properly made is a dish fit for the gods.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Betelnut

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Anything popcorn--that seems real American to me.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
Also, let's consider succotash.  That's supposed to be a native American dish and it's delicious.  However, I'm not sure how available Lima beans and corn are in Europe. 

There's also the New England dish called Indian Pudding. If I properly recall, the ingredients should be fairly easy to find just about anywhere. 

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 07:09:50 AM »
I would love to try s'mores but according to an American born friend of mine, Australian marshmallows aren't don't melt in the same way.  I think the OP may have a problem finding some of the ingredients so good luck :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2012, 10:14:06 AM »
I would love to try s'mores but according to an American born friend of mine, Australian marshmallows aren't don't melt in the same way.  I think the OP may have a problem finding some of the ingredients so good luck :)

That means you have to make your own marshmallows :D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »
Would Shoo Fly Pie be wholly American? 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »
American carrot cake. From what I read, it seems like it is some sort of spice cake. I think.

The carrot cake I am used to doesn't have any spices, just carrots and the usual cake ingredients, with a dark chocolate glaze. Yummm!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »
American carrot cake. From what I read, it seems like it is some sort of spice cake. I think.

The carrot cake I am used to doesn't have any spices, just carrots and the usual cake ingredients, with a dark chocolate glaze. Yummm!

Yes, most of our carrot cake recipes have cinammon, allspice, and nutmeg as a minimum.  But now I'm curious about other carrot cakes, especially ones with chocolate frostings.  Can you link me to a recipe?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
I can't find a link in English to what I call a carrot cake so here is a quick translation of my mother's (my comments in parenthesis, feel free to ask questions!):

Carrot Cake
2 cups flour
3 eggs
2 medium carrots, grated or chopped
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon baking powder

In a blender, blend the carrots, sugar and oil
Add flour and baking powder
Pour in a buttered and floured sheet pan
Bake in hot oven for 3 minutes, lower temperature until done (ok, this is an old fashioned recipe - I preheat my oven to a higher temperature than usual for baking cake, then lower it to the usual temperature, whatever that is in your oven)

Chocolate glaze

(this is almost like a pudding and you don't want a very thick layer - 2mm is good)
1.5 cups milk
5 tablespoons cocoa
Some sugar if you want (I hate my mother when she writes things like that in recipes)
1 heaping tablespoon of starch
1/4 cup of butter

Mix the milk, cocoa, sugar and starch until smooth. Cook over low heat until it thickens. Add butter and stir. Pour while still hot over warm cake.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
Would Shoo Fly Pie be wholly American?

Isn't it an Amish dish?  Many Amish people are German descendents.  Of course it could be a version of a german dish using American ingredients.  Off to google.....