Author Topic: What American recipes would interest you?  (Read 22245 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: What American recipes would interest you?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »
Gumbo would be an easy one.  The only "exotic" ingredient is okra.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

menley

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
Gumbo would be an easy one.  The only "exotic" ingredient is okra.

Many people (mostly from Louisiana, I've found) would say that okra doesn't belong in gumbo anyway! So it might be even easier :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:27 PM »
That is really interesting a out key lime pie is called after Key Limes.

Never having come across it apart from books, I thought it was called that because it was "key" to ending a meal well.

Key limes originally grew on the Florida Keys (Islands). There are also Key deer, which are a small species of deer.

Sunbeem

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
How about Wild Rice ____?  I grew up in Minnesota and we often had a creamy Wild Rice & Chicken soup.  PM me if you'd like the recipe.  It might be hard to buy wild rice in Europe, but a little goes a long way- 2 cups dry equals about 8 cups cooked/hydrated.  So it might be feasible to order just a 2-cup (1 pound, I believe) bag of dry, Minnesota-grown wild rice to be shipped overseas... 

USA wild rice has an entirely different flavor than asian rice.  And the "wild rice" soups served in restaurants often use plain brown or white asian rice with only a few sprinkles of REAL wild rice.

katycoo

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 11:52:30 PM »
Wouldn't have thought of this myself until an Aussie friend mentioned it during a conversation about pies, but Key Lime Pie apparently is very difficult to find/make outside of the US :( Shame, because it's so wonderful!

The difficulty comes from not being easy to get key limes.  I'd warrant most use regular limes.

I also use bottled Key Lime juice.  They are a bit sweeter than regular limes so you may have to add sugar to any lime juice you use.

I don't believe its available here, even bottled. I've never seen it.

katycoo

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
Wouldn't have thought of this myself until an Aussie friend mentioned it during a conversation about pies, but Key Lime Pie apparently is very difficult to find/make outside of the US :( Shame, because it's so wonderful!

The difficulty comes from not being easy to get key limes.  I'd warrant most use regular limes.

I also use bottled Key Lime juice.  They are a bit sweeter than regular limes so you may have to add sugar to any lime juice you use.

Minor correction: I can get it on USAFOods.com.au for $7 a bottle plus shipping from Melbourne...

jmarvellous

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »

Minor correction: I can get it on USAFOods.com.au for $7 a bottle plus shipping from Melbourne...

For what it's worth, I've never seen it, and I'm only 4 states away from Florida.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
Not sure what's available there, but some suggestions:

peach cobbler
caramel apples
buckeyes (chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls)
hot dogs with various toppings
corn on the cob
Jell-o salad
breakfast casserole or breakfast scramble (eggs, sausage crumbles, cheese, and sometimes potatoes or vegetables)
green bean casserole (if you can get the right canned soups for the base!)
tuna noodle casserole
homemade steak fries
Velveeta dip / Rotel dip / chili cheese dip (depending on what you can get)
sloppy joes (which were called "hot tamales" where I grew up - NOT the same thing, I found out later!)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Jell-o salad sounds disgusting to me. Is it also true that Americans add marshmallows to fruit salad? Yuck! Way too much sweetness for me.
My husband did like the Jambalaya I made and has a liking for Cajun seasoning too.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
Jell-o salad sounds disgusting to me. Is it also true that Americans add marshmallows to fruit salad? Yuck! Way too much sweetness for me.
My husband did like the Jambalaya I made and has a liking for Cajun seasoning too.

I wouldn't be shocked if some American, somewhere did, but its certainly not standard or something a tourist would have to worry about. In my experience typical fruit salad is just an assortment of cut fruits, berries, grapes, etc, mixed together.

Library Dragon

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
If you're in the southeastern part of the US you may find it.  Wander into a Picadilly cafeteria and it is sometimes an option. 

My family would add marshmallows to jello salad.  At every holiday was a "salad" with fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges, freshly whipped cream, nuts, and mini marshmallows.  As some who dislikes jello and marshmallows the first was doubly icky, the second would have a pile of marshmallows left.  I make a simplier version for dessert.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »

I don't know about the marshmallows, as I've never had it (don't like Jello unless it's orange), but I'm sure someone thought it was good.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
The only Jello recipes I use are purely dessert ones:

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »

Ambrosia salad is a common holiday recipe in the US south, or it used to be. I don't hear of it as often. It has a combination of oranges, pineapple, and coconut with minature marshmallows. The dressing is made with sour cream to cut the sweatiness.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:40 PM »
That just sounds...wrong to me. No offence to people who like it.

But that second photo looks so 70s it could be out of one of my Mums cookbooks.