Author Topic: What American recipes would interest you?  (Read 22719 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What American recipes would interest you?
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
(mobster voice)  You talkin' to me??

It may actually be in one of your mother's cookbooks from  the 60s. 

My Easter challenge might be:

Library Dragon

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
When we first moved to Alabama the church we attended had its annual Christmas party at the local country club.  The dessert was a cranberry jello thingy with a glob of white on top.  Silly me, I thought it was whipped cream.  Nope.  Mayonnaise!  I like mayo on my sandwiches, not my desserts.  I was told it was a specialty of the club.    ??? Why  ???

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Iris

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »
(mobster voice)  You talkin' to me??

It may actually be in one of your mother's cookbooks from  the 60s. 

My Easter challenge might be:

I actually love the look of the pie? Cheesecake? slice on the plate in that second photo. It's so kitsch and pop-arty with the random squares in the slice, like a fabulous stained glass window from the '60s. If you'd be happy to share the recipe I'd love to give it a go.

[brag] I made a rainbow layer cake last year, but it had cream between the layers.[/brag] The one you've pictured looks like it might be all one cake. Is it?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2013, 07:36:20 AM »
The rainbow cake in the picture is pure Jello with whipped cream frosting.  The recipes for all these things are here:

http://www.chefandy.com/recipes.html

The cookbooks are available from third-party sellers at Amazon.

I did the Broken Window Glass Cake last year at Easter.  It's a two-day project and it works with sugar-free Jello.  The Grasshopper Pie can be made with sugar-free Cool Whip but not -- per another E-hellion -- fat-free or lower fat versions.  The orange one in the first photo is that recipe with orange Jello and Grand Marnier.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »
Jell-o salad sounds disgusting to me. Is it also true that Americans add marshmallows to fruit salad? Yuck! Way too much sweetness for me.
My husband did like the Jambalaya I made and has a liking for Cajun seasoning too.

Ambrosia salad is a common holiday recipe in the US south, or it used to be. I don't hear of it as often. It has a combination of oranges, pineapple, and coconut with miniature marshmallows. The dressing is made with sour cream to cut the sweetness.

I love Ambrosia and it is one of the favorite offerings for bring a dish meals.

Iris

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
The rainbow cake in the picture is pure Jello with whipped cream frosting.  The recipes for all these things are here:

http://www.chefandy.com/recipes.html

The cookbooks are available from third-party sellers at Amazon.

I did the Broken Window Glass Cake last year at Easter.  It's a two-day project and it works with sugar-free Jello.  The Grasshopper Pie can be made with sugar-free Cool Whip but not -- per another E-hellion -- fat-free or lower fat versions.  The orange one in the first photo is that recipe with orange Jello and Grand Marnier.

Thanks! Can't wait to try it!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »
How is it that you guys can take so much sweetness? I have a sweet toothe, love chocolate but I have my limits.

dawbs

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
How is it that you guys can take so much sweetness? I have a sweet toothe, love chocolate but I have my limits.
years of practice  ;)

Brownies (the dessert) are actually an American invention--and most of the ingredients are pretty universal (this one is good and I have all the ingredients in my cupboard most days:  http://thebrownieproject.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/supernatural-brownies/)

"Derby pie" is pretty all american too, IMO.

I'd also try an american version of cornbread or jonnycake

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »
As the other poster said, we grew up with it.

As a child, this was my absolute favorite chocolate cake.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/coca-cola-cake-10000000332011/
Has a cup of coca cola, almost 2 cups of sugar, and a cup and a half of marhmallows.  And then there is the frosting with more coke and 16 oz of powdered sugar. 

I didn't have it for almost 2 decades and decided to make it 3 cakes for my DD's 7th bday party. Oh my, I took one bite and almost went into sugar shock. Thank goodness it was a swim party because I had 24 7 year olds on the ultimate sugar rush. (But I still think it has the best texture of any chocolate cake. Now I just reduce the sugar but have to keep the marshmallows for texture.) 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32:16 PM »
I think my teeth just screamed and ran to the back of my mouth.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2013, 11:20:34 PM »
My parents had this nifty sugar dispenser.  It was glass with a metal screw-on lid and built into the lid a metal straw maybe 1/3" wide (little less than a cm).  So, you could literally pour out the sugar into your morning coffee or cereal.  My parents tossed theirs because when I was a kid they caught me pouring it directly into my mouth. 
Although, now that I am older I frequently find things too sweet.

Library Dragon

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »

We don't all love it.  As a child Easter was candy  >:D for me. Don't like milk chocolate because it's too sweet.  No chocolate bunnies.  I've covered my disgust for marshmallows, so peeps were no fun. No jelly beans, except for licorice or cinnamon flavors. I would have a basket of candy that I didn't like.

I was stationed in Heidelberg, Gemany when I was 18.  I made this wonderful discovery.  German milk chocolate wasn't as sweet and I could buy dark chocolate Ritter Sport bars with nuts, raisins, etc. Pastries weren't as sweet!  Hot chocolate was to be sweented to MY taste level.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »
funnel cakes are universal
And very, very old.  There are medieval recipes that says to let the batter run "thurgh thy fyngours or thrugh a skymour" or a bowl with holes in the bottom instead of a funnel.

(googling happens here... .... ... ) Got it!

This is an excerpt from Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books
(England, 1430)
 The original source can be found at the University of Michigan's "Corpus of Middle English Prose and Verse"
lj - Cryspe3. Take Whyte of Eyroun, Mylke, and Floure, and a lytel Berme, and bete it to-gederys, and draw it thorw a straynoure, so that it be renneng, and not to styf, and caste Sugre ther-to, and Salt; thanne take a chafer ful of freysshe grece boyling, and put thin hond in the Bature, and lat thin bature renne dowun by thin fyngerys in-to the chafere; and whan it is ronne to-gedere on the chafere, and is y-now, take and nym a skymer, and take it vp, and lat al the grece renne owt, and put it on a fayre dyssche, and cast ther-on Sugre y-now, and serue forth.
http://www.medievalcookery.com/search/display.html?twofi:204
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
Library Dragon, you need to try Lindt dark chocolate.

And I wouldn't talk about over sweetness. I just had a Neenish Tart. Cream and jam in  a tarts he'll with brown and pink icing in top

And I've never had funnel cake. Is it like trifle?

Library Dragon

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. 

Funnel cakes are a fired batter, done a spiral or round squiggly pattern, the dusted with confectioners sugar. Think pancake batter fried.  Your heart is clogging up right now!  It's a standard now at every fun fair.