Author Topic: Yellow rice  (Read 796 times)

Kitty Hawk

Yellow rice
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:57:05 AM »
I love the yellow rice, like Goya makes.

Unfortunately, it is totally unheard of here in Germany.  Anyone have any recipes or suggestions?

Thanks!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Yellow rice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:09:12 AM »
the yellow is from saffron (or tumeric - which is often referred to as "poor man's saffron").

you can just make rice however you are used to making it, using basmatti rice (it tastes better), and add in some soaked saffron or a pinch of tumeric while cooking. that's the simplest method.

i like to make a more "spicy" version sometimes - i start by frying an onion, add garlic, then add the spices (tumeric, cumin, hot pepper), turn around for a few second then add rice, turn around in the oil for a few seconds, and then add stock (2.5 cups stock to each cup of rice.), and about 1 tsp salt (if stock doesn't have salt) bring to a boil and then simmer till water is absorbed. sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or coriander. sometimes i add raisins to the mixture, sometimes peas...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:51:50 AM »
The goya version has annato  and azafaron.  If you can get this item shipped to you, all you need to do is add a packet of this to one cup of rice and 2 cups of water.  Increase as needed.  Add a touch of olive oil to this mix.  This will be the closest to the goya yellow rice.

http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Sazon-Azafran-3-52-oz/dp/B003VZM7KM/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341406191&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=con+azafaron

Maybe since it's a dry item and easy to ship, you can get someone to ship several to you.  It's used in alot of cuban/spanish dishes plus now I am seeing it even in USA bbq rubs!  I love it.

If not, then what cicero said but with a pinch saffron threads, a bit of garlic powder, bit of onion powder and salt/pepper to again one cup rice/two cups of water with olive oil.  (a drizzle)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:55:30 AM by Zilla »

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »

I sometimes do rice with toasted cumin seeds, a pinch of tumeric, salt and butter, whieh comes out nice and yellow.