A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Explain the joke

(1/1)

Optimoose Prime:
I am not British, so I guess this falls under cultural nuances.  Anyway, I was watching The Vicar of Dibley, the one where Harry proposes to her.  Easily get the joke that she doesn't understand that he is proposing to her; it's the joke about Harry's name I don't get.  He say's his name is Harry Jasper Kennedy and she says something along the line of, "Hope that doesn't get a chuckle."   Ok, what's the deal with that?  Which part would get a chuckle?

Teenyweeny:
I think the joke's meant to be that he's embarrassed about his weird middle name, but that her real first name is Boadicea, which is much weirder.

Iris:
I'm pretty sure it's just because Jasper (at the time) was a very old fashioned (and hence funny) name.

It's making a bit of a comeback now though, in a few years time people will be thinking "What's wrong with Jasper?"

Bethalize:

--- Quote from: Optimoose Prime on June 22, 2012, 01:41:46 PM ---I am not British, so I guess this falls under cultural nuances.  Anyway, I was watching The Vicar of Dibley, the one where Harry proposes to her.  Easily get the joke that she doesn't understand that he is proposing to her; it's the joke about Harry's name I don't get.  He say's his name is Harry Jasper Kennedy and she says something along the line of, "Hope that doesn't get a chuckle."   Ok, what's the deal with that?  Which part would get a chuckle?

--- End quote ---

Jasper is quite old-fashioned. One of those names like "Nancy" which stayed popular in the USA but fell out of use in the UK. Also, the vicar is being a little chippy. It's not actually that funny but she's a bit hurt.

Optimoose Prime:
I suppose that's why I didn't get it.  I had no idea that Jasper was old fashioned.  I barely have an idea of what's popular here because I don't hang with families that have small children.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version