Author Topic: UM.....Wow, Just Wow.  (Read 5907 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

UM.....Wow, Just Wow.
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
Found this on my FB today. Spelling error is theirs.

As all of you know I lost my job on Tuesday. Now we are in a bind. I have found a part time job but all that will pay is regular bills. We have to come up with $3600.00 by August 2nd to keep our house. We are a household of 2 adults a disabked parent and an 8 year old child. My boyfriend has been looking for a job for over a year now and nothing is hiring. I am looking for $1.00 donations.

Little BG: She moved in with them. Child, Parent, and BF are the family unit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:24:23 PM by wonderfullyanonymous »

bloo

Re: UM.....Wow, Just Wow.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »
Ah...the digital age. Now you can beg without cardboard, markers, or even leaving the house.

If this is one of your FB friends, then I'm sorry for them but...'wow' is right.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
I assume $3600 is the mortgage payment?  Seems rather high, but I guess that is what they chose to buy.  Now, missing one payment will not put you into the street, so it seems this is not the first missed payment. 
So, we have a mom with a disabled parent, a child, and a live-in boyfriend who has not had a job in over a year. 
I need to stop now or I might say something like, "kick out the boyfriend!!"  "Downsize!"
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »

As all of you know I lost my job on Tuesday. Now we are in a bind. I have found a part time job but all that will pay is regular bills. We have to come up with $3600.00 by August 2nd to keep our house. We are a household of 2 adults a disabked parent and an 8 year old child. My boyfriend has been looking for a job for over a year now and nothing is hiring. I am looking for $1.00 donations.
You might want to bold your first line about having found that on fb today, so it is clear that it isn't your message to the forum.  I was a bit stunned.   :o

I cannot believe someone would post that on facebook or anywhere other than to relatives and personal friends, if that.  I feel for them, but gosh....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:19:00 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 02:18:48 PM »
Sad. Not appropriate for FreeCycle or Craig'sList.

I think the $3600 may be a cumulative payment to keep the home. $500  - over $1000 can built up quite quickly.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »

You might want to bold your first line about having found that on fb today.  I thought that was you talking and asking the forum members to send money.  I have to say my mouth was hanging open.

I second the bolding of the first line, because I accidentally read it the same way. I apologize wonderfullyanonymous.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
I assume $3600 is the mortgage payment?  Seems rather high, but I guess that is what they chose to buy.  Now, missing one payment will not put you into the street, so it seems this is not the first missed payment. 
So, we have a mom with a disabled parent, a child, and a live-in boyfriend who has not had a job in over a year. 
I need to stop now or I might say something like, "kick out the boyfriend!!"  "Downsize!"

Get rid of the internet!
...although i guess they could be posting from a library or hot spot, to be fair. Still... the cojones
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »
My apologies, too, wonderfullyanonymous.   :-[
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
Never thought to bold, thanks for that, it does now look better. I also added a little info in original post.

amylouky

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
Not sure why, but this actually doesn't really bother me. Yes, it's oversharing, and embarrassing for the poster to be airing their personal situation on a public forum such as Facebook, but I don't see a huge difference between this and the kid who funded his college education by asking for penny donations.

I think it doesn't bother me because the donation amount asked for is so small, the need does seem to be legitimate (although I question the bf not finding a job after a year, when the poster found one in a few days?), and there aren't any major guilt trips attempted. Plus, we have no info to know whether they are irresponsible in other areas, ie, they spend a ton of money on gadgets or vacations, but cry help for bills.

She doesn't sound so much entitled, as desperate to me.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Hey, amylouky, i want to paint my trailer ... gimme a dollar?

I couldn't help myself. Yours is a much more magnanimous viewpoint, to be sure.

Edited because mananimous sounds like a super hero gone awry, not the word i was going for.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:51:09 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

I couldn't help myself. Yours is a much more mananimous viewpoint, to be sure.

LOL. :) I know, I'm a softie, and probably a bit of a sucker at times. I just think this one's pretty mild on the gimme pig scale. I probably actually would give them a dollar or two, if it was someone I knew.

Nika

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
Heehee! I also read this before any edits were made. I was very ashamed of you, wonderfullyanonymous!  ;D
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Never thought to bold, thanks for that, it does now look better. I also added a little info in original post.
It is clearer with the bold.  Glad you changed it.  :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

I couldn't help myself. Yours is a much more magnanimous viewpoint, to be sure.

Edited because mananimous sounds like a super hero gone awry, not the word i was going for.
Love your colorful little emoticon!