Author Topic: Wanted: a cookie recipe That holds the indentation of a cutter  (Read 1435 times)

gmatoy

I have been using the Wilton cookie recipe because it holds the indentation of my cookie cutters, but I don't think the cookies taste as wonderful as most of my cookies taste.

Does anyone have a great recipe that holds the impressions? (Because of allergies, I won't be able to use recipes with nuts or peanut butter.) Thank you for thinking about your recipes for me.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Wanted: a cookie recipe That holds the indentation of a cutter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Are you talking about a pattern pressed into the top of the cookie?

If so, most shortbread recipes will hold the pattern quite well.  The higher the quality of the butter you use, the better the cookie will taste.

My recipe (I think):
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)

Cream together the sugar and butter and salt and slowly add the flour.  If you have a good mixer, great.  If not, you'll have to put the rest of the flour in by hand.  Roll out on a counter with lots of flour and cut.  Bake at 325 F for about 15 minutes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gmatoy

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
I have a cookie cutter collection and love to use them. But, it isn't worth the effort if the impression bakes out! Thank you for your recipe.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
I can't find my cookbook to double check the recipe but when I do, I'll post if there is anything different.

Good luck!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MummySweet

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:42:13 PM »
How about these, known as No Fail Sugar Cookies (NFSC),  If prepared according to instructions, these don't spread.  I would think that they might work well with impression cutters.   Note:  make sure to preheat oven for at least 30 minutes.

Ingredients
6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar (white granulated)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring
1 tsp. salt

Instructions
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
Chill for 1 to 2 hours
Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3″ cookies.

CakeEater

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »
If you lower the baking powder, add in extra flour, and freeze your cutouts on the baking sheet before baking, your cookies will retain their shape better.