Author Topic: seeking chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses Yellow Cake Mix  (Read 3690 times)

rmk1

An old roommate's girlfriend came to our apartment in 1997 and baked these awesome cookies for all of us. I have been thinking of them ever since! Have looked online for recipes that are similar but have not quite found the right one.

They were somewhat soft and cakey in texture but also held their shape very well and they had some "al dente" sort of bite to them. They were not the texture of flat cupcakes, in other words. They were different in texture than something made only with cake mix, is what I am saying.

There was a box of yellow cake mix in them as well as other unknown batter ingredients.

They were crazy awesome fantastic WOW. If you know of the recipe or have an idea, please let me know!

Momiitz

Re: seeking chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses Yellow Cake Mix
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
I have a cookie recipe that uses a boxed cake mix. It's simple. Set your oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is preheating mix ONLY 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and 2 eggs to your boxed cake mix. Place dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about a tablespoon each and bake for 8-10 minutes.

You can add chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, etc. I have also experimented with different flavored boxed cake mix.

I think my mom found this recipe in a Dear Heloise column a long time ago. She taught me how to make them.

Good luck, and if you try the recipe let me know how they came out.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
This is the Betty Crocker version I've used.  They taste a lot like yellow cake more than a tollhouse style cookie.  We used a combo of dark, semi-sweet, and milk chocolate chips.

1 box of Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil (applesauce of you want to use something healthier)
2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Mix the cake mix, eggs, and oil, then gradually add the chocolate chips

Spoon onto cookie tray and cook in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.

MummySweet

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
I love cake mix cookies... they are very forgiving of experimentation!      Just be aware, if you are following a recipe that just states "1 box" you want to make sure to get an 18.5 oz. mix.  Betty Crocker recently changed the size of their box mixes to 15.5 oz, so your ratios would be off if using a BC mix.

Girlie

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »
The standard recipe given here is the one I have always used, and it is always a big hit. We have found that the best box mix to use - if you can find it in your area - is the Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow cake mix.

I also would like to recommend this additional take on cake mix cookies:
If you do a lemon cake mix, don't add the chocolate chips. Roll the unbaked cookies into little balls and then roll in powdered sugar until covered. Bake according to the previous recipe, and you get these absolutely delicious lemon cookies out of it. Yummy! :)

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
My Grandma has made these for years and I love them!  The only difference in her recipe is that she uses real butter - not oil.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
DD#2 makes a delicious cookie from Pillsbury's Funfetti cake mix.

The recipe is on the side of the box.

Maybe check out your cake mix isle, look at the sides of the boxes for alternative recipes using the cake mix.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »
I make cake mix cookies and my recipe calls for a block of cream cheese.

1 box Cake Mix (I use Red Velvet or Lemon)
2 Tbs butter softened
1 8 oz package cream cheese at room temperature
1 egg
Add ins as desired (I use white chocolate chips of the Lemon and red velvet)
Powdered sugar to roll in.

Preheat over to 350 and mix all ingredient, roll into balls and into the powdered sugar, bake 10-13 minutes and let cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet until moving to wire rack. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired.

These go over very well, people are asking for the red velvet ones all the time.

rmk1

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
i made them Momiitz's way tonight. they spread a lot more than I expected, and were not the texture I was originally  looking for, but still nice cookies. very sweet too. sweeter than i expected. feeding them to people tomorrow for my birthday. will try to post pics soon. also will try the other versions at some point. thanks, everyone!