Author Topic: Food Police...at work.  (Read 29719 times)

Poppea

Re: Food Police...at work.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
A friend of mine has had great success with using the phrase "Are you trying to tell me I'm fat?"  and while they sputter she continues "Because, I already know that - but thanks for the heads up!" 

Because, really that's what the OP's co workers are trying to do.  They want to fat shame her, but not be obvious.  If you call them out on it they might back off.

rain

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
A friend of mine has had great success with using the phrase "Are you trying to tell me I'm fat?"  and while they sputter she continues "Because, I already know that - but thanks for the heads up!" 

Because, really that's what the OP's co workers are trying to do.  They want to fat shame her, but not be obvious.  If you call them out on it they might back off.

and... any updates?
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
"You sure take an unusual interest in my food." (Said with a "that's kind of weird" tone of voice).

"Why shouldn't I eat healthy? Food is supposed to be nutritious or how could it sustain you through the work day?"

"Sigh....do I need to explain my food EVERY day? Can't I just eat in peace for once?"

"But of COURSE I eat healthy." (Shrug, go back to what you're reading).

"This is getting a bit old, don't you think, this obsessive interest in my food?"

I used to encounter this constantly at a former workplace. Seemed everyone was dying to know what healthy and WEIRD thing I was eating that day. So I went outside for lunch when I could, but you say that's not an option.

25wishes

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
I find it rude in general to comment on what another person is eating. Not my business.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
My Hyde Side would want to say, "My goodness, you're right!  Someone find me a cake.  I must bury my face in it up to my ears."

>:D

mrkitty

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »
I have worn our my "SoOOOo kind of you to take an interest comment."  I need a friendly back up.

I work in an environment where we cannot take separate breaks nor can we leave the building. 

Typically staff bring in a bagged lunch and we just eat when everyone is having lunch. No big deal.  There are a few people who INSIST on commenting on my lunch. Every single time!

I am a plus size gal who likes to eat healthy. *insert look of horror and shock*  Apparently according to a few peeps at work, that's just not possible.   Sometimes when they comment about how healthy my lunch is, I reply with "I'm always trying to eat healthy...not easy sometimes."  If I add the "So kind of you to take an interest" they start laughing and sometimes mimic that phrase.  I usually try to steer the conversation away from my lunch and back onto whatever that person likes to talk about.

Yesterday I was happily getting my lunch out, when Lucy said "You ALWAYS eat healthy.  At first I thought you were trying to impress me or trick me."

My reply was light and upbeat "Trick you?  My lunch really has nothing to do with you or anyone else, it's just a lunch."

Then she went on to say "If you really did eat like that all the time, why are you so overweight?  You MUST have a medical problem. Maybe hormone problem?"

I just looked at her. Said nothing.

She mumbled something about how she has recently lost 10lbs in 1 week...and had some tips for me.

Lucy was drinking a coke, eating a sub and chips while she was saying that.

I smiled and said, as best as I could "Thanks for taking an interest, but I am not interested in your tips.  So? How's your son? Is he playing any sports this summer?  etc...."

It really does hurt when people make assumptions or comments about how "impossible" it is for me to like healthy food or how I could possibly be a bigger person etc.

How can I get people to NOT talk about my food or my weight / size?  I certainly don't talk about their physical appearance or grade their lunch out loud. 

As I was making my lunch this morning, I was actually thinking about who I would be eating lunch with and trying to guess what they would say about it.  (baby spinach salad with cukes, grape tomatoes and some strawberries that we picked on Sunday + water)

This sounds to me like it's verging on workplace harassment, or at minimum, bullying. The next time she says that, I would tell her my weight issues are none of her business and that her comments are inappropriate, rude and hurtful. And then document, and report to HR if it continues.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

MissRose

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 08:14:26 AM »
I cannot stand people who think they are food police.  I've not encountered them at work but my mother is one of those people.  It has gotten to the point where I tell her either my weight is not up for discussion, my weight issues are confidential (me and my doctor) not her, or complete silence.  She not only has issues with my weight (as I am plus sized, and 5ft 2in), she does have issues as well regarding her husband and her 13 year old grandson who are both around 5 ft 9/10in & weigh around 230 lbs each.

My mother is one of those people who has a naturally fast metabolism plus is constantly on the move.  If I ate like she did, I would weigh much more than I do currently.  I know I do not always eat the best things but I do not eat tons of food at one sitting either.

Food police at work can be reported to HR and your supervisor.  Unfortunately, I have no such option for my mother!

rain

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
OP .... updates?
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

MsApril

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
I agree with previous posters.
This was happening to my boyfriend at work! >:D
I suggested he go to HR.
He did and everyone had to attend a meeting about diversity and harrassment.
Which is what they were doing, harrassing him.
Please take this to either your boss, or HR and get this taken care of.
You don't deserve this treatment.

LilacRosey

Re: Food Police...at work. , lilacrosey
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 02:59:33 AM »
I just lve this response it is so right for so many things.Thank you!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »
I'd be tempted to pull out a pad of paper and a pencil, then narrate while I was writing: "Today is Oct. 17, 12:17 p.m. [Co-worker's name] stated 'repeat the exact words.'"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
I have a coworker who used to make tactless comments about whatever dumb thought occurred to him. My standard response became a firm gaze, and a "Thank. You." "Thank. You." "Thank. You." I think it confused him; he didn't seem to know what I meant by my reply, and he doesn't have much to say to me anymore. Thank. You!

Minmom3

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
I have a coworker who used to make tactless comments about whatever dumb thought occurred to him. My standard response became a firm gaze, and a "Thank. You." "Thank. You." "Thank. You." I think it confused him; he didn't seem to know what I meant by my reply, and he doesn't have much to say to me anymore. Thank. You!

I like this response, because I think it takes ALL the fun out of it for the Food Police.  That dead pan response is a serious deflater.... 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Drawberry

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »

^
So much truth, so little time.

These coworkers aren't concerned about your health, they're just getting away with making derogatory statements and assumptions. It's so shocking to people that it's completely possible and *GASP* even probable that a fat individual has the same food or fitness habits as a slender person, but this isn't a discussion on your health because that isn't the core of what your coworkers statements are coming from.

Perhaps in the future you could play the naive card;

"Wow OP I can't believe you eat so healthy!"

"I don't get it.."

"Well it's just I never would have thought you ate such healthy food.."

"I don't get what you mean"

By that point the person should be far too engrossed in realizing their blunder to even think of continuing.

You don't need to validate your body to them, it isn't even what they're looking for. They're just looking to be bigoted in a socially acceptable way. Don't ply into their nonsense, don't grace them with an answer, they don't need to or deserve to know about your body.

scotcat60

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
She mumbled something about how she has recently lost 10lbs in 1 week...and had some tips for me.

Lucy was drinking a coke, eating a sub and chips while she was saying that.

If that's so, could she please pass on those tips to us E-Hellions, because I for one would love to know how it's done.

Sadly people will always comement on your food or drink choices. I've had "Gosh you take a lot of milk in your tea!" ( And I don't know why you bother even taking any in yours, you have so little) and "Gosh you've hardly got anything on your plate!" (And you've got enough to feed two other people as well as yourself IMHO) the bracketed comments were not returned by me, but then I didn't know of the "So kind of you to take and interest" reply at the time.