Author Topic: Food Police...at work.  (Read 30249 times)

Drawberry

Re: Food Police...at work.
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »
She mumbled something about how she has recently lost 10lbs in 1 week...and had some tips for me.

Lucy was drinking a coke, eating a sub and chips while she was saying that.

If that's so, could she please pass on those tips to us E-Hellions, because I for one would love to know how it's done.
About the only thing I can imagine is she chopped off a limb! 10lbs in a week is either one big fish tale of a story or nothing I want to be involved with ;)

greencat

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
Actually, if you're significantly overweight, and you do a drastic diet change - especially cutting your sodium intake down from multiple times RDA to half the RDA - you can easily drop 10lbs in a week.

My ex did that a couple of times - unfortunately, it just made him discouraged when he didn't see that much of a drop the following week.

Drawberry

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
Actually, if you're significantly overweight, and you do a drastic diet change - especially cutting your sodium intake down from multiple times RDA to half the RDA - you can easily drop 10lbs in a week.

My ex did that a couple of times - unfortunately, it just made him discouraged when he didn't see that much of a drop the following week.

That kind of weight loss isn't actual fat but a mixture of water-retention as well, I presumed the woman in question was referring to 10lbs of strictly fat. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »
Ten pounds in a week can also be a sign of medical issues. I had that happen to me once, and my doctor and I figured out it was a result of the medication I was on at the time (for an acute condition). We figured that out by my tracking my weight for a while after I stopped using that medicine; if my weight had kept dropping, the next step would probably have been to check for diabetes.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
People can be such idiots. If one standard diet worked for everyone there'd be no health/diet/fitness market. About a year ago I finally figured out what worked for me and lost about 15-20lbs of body fat. I am SO glad I'm no longer having lunch in a break room because I know a lot of people would take one look at my meal and feel the need to "help" me understand how "unhealthy" it is. Yeah, I eat a lot of protein and fat (From healthy sources, I'm not drinking straight out of a jug of melted lard or something. lol). It's what MY body needs, thankyouverymuch. Granted, I lost weight, but what's important is that I feel good, sleep well and my skin has cleared up. Body happy! Yay!

If I were in OP's shoes I think I'd look the nosey person right in the eyes and say "What do you mean?" to every comment. Make 'em squirm!

Ladybugs

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
OP,

I would confuse them...the next time they comment, "I can't believe your eating a salad.." eagerly say oh yea, wow, that's what my doctors been after me about. He wants me to lay off the healthy low fat stuff.

The coworker will say "why?"

Then you reply with " because my doctor is concerned I am far too thin, dangerously underweight almost. He has been lecturing me about I need to put in at least ten pounds.....gosh, maybe you all are right....do you have any potato chips or anything like that?"

Coworker will scratch head and probably say "ohhh....." And walk off in a confused daze.

Every time they say only a salad, or I can't believe how healthy or low fat you eat, confuse the heck out of them...then thank them
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:36:55 PM by Ladybugs »

QuiltLady

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
I would simply stop responding at all.  Total silence and just look at them like you're wondering why they would be so rude as to say such a thing.

I'm overweight.  Not drastically so, I don't think, as I wear a size 14 jeans and I could certainly afford to lose 50 lbs.  At work I received a Weight Watcher's cookbook via an interoffice mail envelope from an unknown source.  I was quite shocked and embarrassed.  I don't know anyone personally at work that would be so forward/rude/mean.  We do have a Weight Watcher's At Work group and meetings that I have never attended, not do I intend to.  Even though I was hurt I decided to look at it as someone was trying to be helpful and let it go. There are 500 people in my office and it's no use even trying to speculate on who did that.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »
I would simply stop responding at all.  Total silence and just look at them like you're wondering why they would be so rude as to say such a thing.

I'm overweight.  Not drastically so, I don't think, as I wear a size 14 jeans and I could certainly afford to lose 50 lbs.  At work I received a Weight Watcher's cookbook via an interoffice mail envelope from an unknown source.  I was quite shocked and embarrassed.  I don't know anyone personally at work that would be so forward/rude/mean.  We do have a Weight Watcher's At Work group and meetings that I have never attended, not do I intend to.  Even though I was hurt I decided to look at it as someone was trying to be helpful and let it go. There are 500 people in my office and it's no use even trying to speculate on who did that.

I would have brought both it and the envelope to HR and raised heck. No one has the right to do that to you, QuiltLady. I hope you reported it. That's harassment.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Jeremy

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

"You ALWAYS eat healthy."

My brother's response to this sort of blindingly obvious and none-of-your-business remark is 'They tell me Mafeking has been relieved'. He says it shuts down the conversation beautifully - half the time because it conveys 'what you're saying is such old news that I can't believe you said it' and the other half because the listener has absolutely no idea what he's saying at all.

Ha!  I love it!  :D

And if they make comments about weight or how they didn't think you'd eat such healthy food, my tactic would be to look straight at them and ask "What do you mean?" then keep staring blankly at them.  It puts them right on the spot.