Author Topic: Non-Fattening Recipes with Eggplant  (Read 3316 times)

Ondine

Non-Fattening Recipes with Eggplant
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:10:13 AM »

As a rule, I don't eat as much vegetables and fruits as I should - I just don't like them. However, I had a cardiologist appointment today, and I know that if I don't change my eating habits, by the looks of my cardiology report, I may need to be on heart meds in 1.5-2 years. Not good.

So I've decided to stock up on 'healthy foods' and cut back on the junky foods and foods with too much carbs. Since I work in a grocery store, I have excellent access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and I'm looking to try new kinds - I usually just get spinach, cauliflower, carrots, romaine lettuce and red and green peppers.

I'd like to try eggplant, but I have no idea how to cook the darn thing. The only recipe I've ever heard of is eggplant parmagiana, which usually has cheese in it - I love cheese, but I'm trying to get into healthy eating habits by eating plain veggies.

So, anyone know how to cook eggplant? While we're on the topic of healthy veggies, anyone know of any other veggies that are dark in colour and really good for you?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Non-Fattening Recipes with Eggplant
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:36:11 AM »
good for you!

there is a thread here on baba ghanoush somewhere - that is eggplant salad, so take a look at that.

I like to take a few different vegetables and roast/bake them. it can last for quite a few days in the fridge and this gives you a healthy side dish/sandwich filer.

eggplants - washed, not peeled, sliced about 1 inch think
peppers - all colors, cut in half or quarter, seeded
squash/zucchini - scrubbed, sliced in circles or lenthwise
cauliflower - break into flowerettes
carrots - scrubbed, sliced lengthwise or just left whole
fennel - cut into quarters, lenghtwise.
sweet potatoes - scrubbed. cut lengthwise
red onions
mushrooms

actually - whatever you want. just choose 'hard' vegetables, not things like tomatoes.

take a big baking pan, line it with tinfoil or baking paper. coat with olive oil. arrange the vegetables comfortably (not too close to each other). in a bowl mix a few tbls or olive oil, about half the amount of lemon juice (or mixture of lemon juic and balsamic vin.), some grate lemon peel, spices. brush the vegetables with this and sprinkle with coarse (kosher) salt. roast till they start to brown and are soft.. you can turn over halfway.

i have friends who make this even with out the oil - just coarse salt.

this method, and baba ghanoush are the oonly ways that I know to make eggplant that doesn't have a lot of oil. anyway, you cna just have a few vegetables - they are good hot or cold - with a bowl of a whole grain and a fresh salad and you will be fine.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sillysquirrel

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:45 AM »
I just made an awesome dish last night! I guess you could call it a stew.

In a wide pot with a splash of olive oil cook on stove top:

1 diced green pepper
1 diced zucchini
1 diced yellow onion
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 diced eggplant
2 cans (10-14oz) diced tomatoes w/green chiles
1 package of cooked turkey sausage, chopped (usually found as a ring)
season to taste

cover and simmer until veggies cooked through.
I like using canned tomatoes because there is more juice.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 09:31:54 AM »
I sautee mine with onions and a little olive oil, then toss in some shrimp towards the end (shrimp cook fast).  I also make this into a casserols by adding a little bread crumbs and topping with parmigian heese and baking.  we have it at holidays in New Orleans.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
oh, and i just remembered an AWESOME recipe with eggplant, it works with green beans and other vegetebales too. you can make on the stove top or in the oven.

2-3 eggplants, sliced, then each slice cut into 'fingers'
2-3 onions, sliced
a lot of garlic cloves
2-3 ripe tomatoes.
olive oil
salt, pepper.

layer in a pan or in a pot with a cover: a little olive oil, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, sprinkle garlic and salt/pepper on each layer. the more olive oil you put in the better it tastes, but if you are trying to cut down it works fine with out a lot of oil. cover and cook on high for a few minutes, then lower the flame and let it cook on low for about an hour(or cover tightly with tin foil and bake for about an hour). the vegetables should be all mushy and delicious. its' good hot or cold

you can make the same thing with green beans. I also make the same thing with mushrooms but I don't add the tomatoes - just onions, garlic and 2-3 types of mushrooms.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
Roasting eggplants turns them into a lovely, sweet, rich-tasting pulp that you can add to lots of things--thicken spaghetti sauce with it, add it to a stew or soup or chili, mix it into your favorite filling for enchiladas, etc.

Slice your eggplants in half, brush them or spritz them lightly with olive oil (if you have a kitchen atomizer with olive oil, you'll find that you can "coat" something and use far less than 1 teaspoon of oil) and turn them upside down on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on size).  The roasting process caramelizes it and gets rid of all the unpleasant bitter taste that raw eggplant can have.

You can also slice eggplant and grill it--Alton Brown did a great show on this.  You slice them in thick slices, use salt to draw out the bitter liquid, rinse off the salt, and cook the slices on the grill or in the oven.  Yum!

There's also a wonderful Indian dish (something bhartha?) that's basically eggplant curry.  Super yum!

Eggplant is amazing stuff.  Enjoy!

- saphie

Phinn

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
I'm having to experiment with a lot of vegetables, too, due to an herbal detox cleanse that I'm on right now.  Eggplant's cooked pulp is great in lots of things!  If you have a blender, or more conveniently, one of those 'wand' hand blenders that you can stick right in the pot, give this a try - it took me less than an hour.

-half an onion, chopped
-lots of garlic cloves, chopped
-skinned eggplant, chopped into small chunks
-2 red peppers, chopped
-2 leeks, white part only, chopped fine
-2 organic vegetable bouillion cubes or several cups of stock (read: no MSG, 'natural flavours' etc., added)
-and the winning ingredient - KALE!  Dark green, leafy, and so good for you.  2 - 3 large leaves of this, ruffly vegetation stripped from its hard centre rib.

In soup pot, in small amount of olive oil, sautee leeks, onions, garlic, and eggplant until soft.  Add small amount of stock if required to moisten.  Add red peppers, kale, and remains of stock.  Add water if required to mostly cover.  Put on lid, reduce heat slightly, and wait until kale is really bright green, about 5 minutes.  Bring out hand blender and puree it all.  Add seasonings like salt (if required after bouillion), lots of fresh ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, etc, to taste.

I served this over brown rice and it was awesome.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
Curly Kale: Wash and strip leaves from one bunch of kale.  Put about a cup of chicken broth into a big pot with about ten cloves of peeled garlic, bring to a simmer, pile the kale on , turn down to low medium and cover.  Stir once in a while.  Let it cook until it is tender, but still bright green.  You can add some extra virgin olive oil to it when it's cooking or top it with olive oil after it's cooked (and a little vinegar, if you want).  The broth makes for great dipping of bread!  The way I strip the leaves from the stems is this:  Wash the leaves. I am right handed so I rest the stem where the leaves end in the space between my left thumb and index finger.  I close my thumb and index finger, and holding the bottom of the stem in my right hand, slide my left hand up the stem and the leaves come off slick as a whistle.

Savoy Cabbage (I shred it fine, about 1/4 inch shreds, and saute it with garlic and fresh ginger, or cut it up into a coarse shred and cook it in about 2 cups chicken broth, lots of garlic, potatoes and carrots.  I bring it to a boil then turn it down t medium low.  At the end I add some kind of low fat sausage, or you can fry a couple of slices of bacon and crumble into it just for flavor.

Eggplant:  Cut into 1/2 inch rounds, smear with some extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder and maybe a little dried oregano, dip in panko bread crumbs and bake in single layer about 350 for 20 minutes or until tender and golden. 

Fresh spinach soup:  Place a big handful of raw finely shredded fresh spinach into a soup bowl and ladle on some hot chicken broth.  Add a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt and sprinkle with some dill.

Zucchini  Small ones, maybe about 6 to 8 inches long:  Quarter lenghwise and cut into thin slices across, so they are like little wedges.  Heat olive oil in skillet and add the zucchini.  Saute on medium to medium low heat, stirring now and then so it doesn't burn and until it is beginning to get tender.  Add a little chopped garlic.  Continue cooking until done.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve over rice, sprinkled with a little parmesan cheese.

Oh, I use canned chicken broth.  I never bother making my own.  Too much trouble, and I like the canned.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

lkl492

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
It's fantastic grilled with just some lemon juice for flavoring!

You can either put slices of it directly on the grill, or put pieces on skewers with other veggies if you like.  I use different colored peppers with zucchini and summer squash.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
You don't have to completely give up cheese, just use in moderation.  Here is a low-fat version of eggplant parmesan from Cooking Light.  (The nutritional information does not reflect using no salt added tomato products)

EGGPLANT PARMESAN 

8 SERVINGS

1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
32 ounces tomato sauce, no salt added
28 ounces canned tomatoes, no salt added, undrained and chopped
6 ounces tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds eggplant (2) cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup water
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs, seasoned
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
cooking spray
3 cups part skim milk mozzarella cheese, 12 ounces, shredded
Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)

1.   Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

2.   Place eggplant in a large bowl; add water to cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well; blot dry with paper towels. Combine 1/4 cup water and egg whites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; stir well. Dip eggplant in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.

3.   Place half of eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.

4.   Spread half of tomato mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant over sauce; top with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, eggplant, and cheese.

5.   Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 314 Calories; 9g Fat (25.9% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 1793mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 4 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:15:09 PM by Kathleen »

Buffy2424

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »
Check out Mediterranean cookbooks for eggplant (aubergine) recipes.  I made this one in a huge pot once.  The recipe (from my Mediterranean cookbook) said it serves 4 but it may be bigger than that.  Halve it, maybe, unless for party/leftovers.

Spicy Chickpea and Aubergine Stew:
3 large eggplant, cubed
1 c dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (buy canned if you want)
4 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 lg onions, chopped
1/2 tsp each of dried cumin, cinnamon and coriander
3 14 oz cans chopped tomatoes
salt and black pepper
cooked rice, to serve

For the garnish:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, sliced (I know, weird to slice)
1 onion sliced (ha ... use way, way less)
sprigs of coriander (cilantro -- definitely do)

~Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt, leave for 30 minutes before rinsing and patting dry.
~Drain chickpeas and put in a pan with enough water to cover.  Bring to boil, simmer for 30 mins or until tender before draining
~Heat oil in a lg pan -- I just use a pot -- then cook garlic & onion until soft.  Add spices, stir a little.  Stir in eggplant; cook for 5 mins.
~Add tomatoes, chickpeas and seasoning -- cover and simmer for 20 mins.

~To make the garnish, heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic until golden and crisp. 
~Serve the stew with rice, topped with the onion, garlic and cilantro.

I only made this dish once, to tell the truth.  Personally I thought it was good but nothing special.  However my husband absolutely loved it, so here it is. 

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »
Here's another one.  I forget where I got it.

Pasta Ratatouille

Serving Size  : 4   
  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2               Cups  eggplant -- diced
  2               Cups  zucchini -- sliced
  1 1/2          Teaspoons  salt -- divided
  4               Teaspoons  oil -- divided
  1               Cup  onion -- sliced
  1 1/2          Cups  canned tomatoes -- drained, seeded & diced, save liquid
  2               Tablespoons  tomato paste
  1               Teaspoon  oregano
  1/2            Teaspoon  basil
  1/2            Teaspoon  garlic powder
  1               Dash  pepper
  8               Ounces  Pasta -- Spaghetti Or Fusilli
  1/2            Cup  Mozzarella Cheese -- Shredded

IN A LARGE COLANDER IN THE SINK, SPRINKLE EGGPLANT AND ZUCCHINI WITH 1 TSP OF SALT.  LET SIT FOR 30 MINUTES, THEN RINSE AND PAT DRY.

SAUTE EGGPLANT, ZUCCHINI, AND ONIONS IN OIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL SOFTENED, ABOUT 2 MINUTES.  ADD TOMATOES, RESERVED LIQUID, TOMATO PASTE, 1/2 TSP SALT, BASIL , GARLIC POWDER, OREGANO , AND PEPPER.  COOK, STIRRING, UNTIL THE PASTE IS DISSOLVED.  LOWER HEAT AND COOK, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY FOR 15--20 MINUTES.

IN A FLAME PROOF DISH, PUT PASTA, TOP WITH VEGETABLE MIXTURE, SPRINKLE WITH CHEESE.  BROIL UNTIL THE CHEESE IS MELTED AND LIGHT BROWN, (2 TO 3 MINUTES)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 357 Calories; 9g Fat (23.2% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 57g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 1065mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
Here's one of our favorites:

Eggplant with toasted spices

Ingredients
1 large eggplant (aubergine), about 1 1/2 pounds
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Pinch of ground ginger
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved, or 1 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon light molasses
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)

Directions
Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.

Trim the eggplant and cut lengthwise into slices about 1/4-inch thick. Arrange the slices on the rack or broiler pan and grill or broil, turning once, until the eggplant is tender and browned, about 5 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm.

In a small bowl, combine the first 7 spices. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds. Quickly add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, molasses, garlic and vinegar. Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.

Transfer the eggplant to a warmed serving dish or individual plates, pour the sauce over, and garnish with the cilantro.