Author Topic: Our first party  (Read 2839 times)

jmarvellous

Our first party
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
My boyfriend and I are having 6-10 people over tomorrow (still waiting on RSVPs, but trying to keep it casual; only 2 of the 13 invited have firmly said "no," but only 6 have said "yes") at 8:30 for casual drinks, snacks and games.

• I've got the makings for a pitcher of Moscow mules, plus beer and wine, and OJ, water and ginger beer for nondrinkers, if anyone is abstaining.
  • Food-wise:
    Fruit plate with a creamy strawberry dip
    Chips and salsa
    Pickles, homemade pickled carrots and olives
    Crackers and cheese and homemade white bean dip, maybe hummus
    Mocha cake (shaped/decorated like a cat, because the party is ostensibly a "meet our new cat" party).
    (In case it matters, we're vegetarian-verging-on-vegan, so we won't serve meat even though about half our expected guests are meat eaters or pescatarian.)
  • BF is prepping some "parlor games," but we're short on great ideas. Board games have been a failure in the past with a similar crowd at another friend's house, but we're kind of mixing friend groups, so I want to be sure we have something to get people mingling.

Sounds OK, right? Or does it?

OK, I do have one question: Our apartment is nicely decorated and semi-spacious (we love it), but it's definitely showing its age. As in, the toilet is really stained and frankly dirty looking no matter how much I bleach or scrub it -- bowl and pedestal both.  Should I keep quiet about this or warn people, "I promise, the toilet is clean!" I know that if I were visiting my home I'd wonder if the hosts bothered to clean the toilet, but I'd be too polite to say anything. But I'm also reluctant to bring up the toilet at all with company over!  WWYD, ehell?

P.S. Meet our new cat!

RobinJ

Re: Our first party
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
For the toilet, if you are that worried about it - is it just where the water is inside the bowl?  If so, what about those Blue things you put in to clean the tank every time you flush and turns the water blue?

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
It is stained mottled green and brown at the bottom of the bowl (about 1/3 of the bowl is discolored); I believe that the ceramic has been eaten away and is quite pitted. There's really nothing to be done about it short of buying a new toilet, which isn't in the cards for our rental. I've tried to clean it, BF has tried, our maintenance guy has tried, and my mother (who could clean the spots off a leopard, she's that amazing at cleaning) has tried ...

If you didn't know any better, you might think it was caused by mold or a lack of proper, frequent flushing on our part, I think. There is also staining or rust around the base of the toilet and the bolts, which have cracked covers, but you wouldn't see that unless you really peered down to look. The management of the complex is new and great, but it's clear that the previous maintenance folks were awful. They painted over dingy tile and tub stains rather than replace or really clean them, for example.

I'm pretty sure the last tenant (or last several) weren't too observant of regular cleaning procedures, which didn't help.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:41:59 PM »
no advice for the toilet but just want to say that your party sounds lovely! i might add a veggie tray, but that's cause i love 'em!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
Here's the toilet area. As I said, it only looks gross if you look too closely (and yes, the tank is permanently crooked):

lowspark

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »
Another vote for a veggie tray.

For games, I suggest party games as opposed to board games. Board games usually limit number of players and also require players' undivided attention. Party games are usually structured so that everyone can play and so that people can join in or quit mid game. My two favorite party games are Taboo & Pictionary.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
Another vote for a veggie tray.

For games, I suggest party games as opposed to board games. Board games usually limit number of players and also require players' undivided attention. Party games are usually structured so that everyone can play and so that people can join in or quit mid game. My two favorite party games are Taboo & Pictionary.

In the same vein as Pictionary, there's Scribblish: http://boardgames.about.com/od/partygame1/p/cranium_scribblish.htm

It says 4-6 players, but you could easily add more, especially if you don't keep score.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
There's the 'Who Am I?' game. Tape a picture of a famous person (or their name), living or dead or fictional, on each person's back. During cocktails, they have to ask people questions to determine 'who they are'. It gets people talking.

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
There's the 'Who Am I?' game. Tape a picture of a famous person (or their name), living or dead or fictional, on each person's back. During cocktails, they have to ask people questions to determine 'who they are'. It gets people talking.

Yay! That's the one I suggested, and BF hadn't ever heard of it. I think knowing others think it's fun will help persuade him.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
With the toilet, just make sure that the bathroom smells fresh and clean, and the rest will follow

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Re: Toilet --

So long as the seat is spotless (both top and bottom) I see no reason to mention the pitting/ickiness in the bowl.

I do agree with RobinJ:

For the toilet, if you are that worried about it - is it just where the water is inside the bowl?  If so, what about those Blue things you put in to clean the tank every time you flush and turns the water blue?

Even if it won't clean the pits and stains, blue water gives off the fact that the bowl is sanitized.

Re: Games --

I agree with the PPers, keep it to something that everybody can play. Where they can sit out a round (while they're getting food/drink) or join in late without changing the dynamics of the scoring system.

Charades (old hat, I know) comes to mind.

Maybe even "pin the tail on the donkey" where it's not a structured game like everybody has to play at once, but you could have it set up where invitees get to play once or twice (or however many times they want to try) during the evening (whenever they choose.) No need to keep all the tails on the board, simply mark the board with initials, wherever they pinned their tail. At the end of the party, the person closest gets a prize. Sounds cheesy, but I've done this and it amazed me as to how many people wanted to play and play again.

Re: Food --

Sounds like a wonderful spread. I'm adding another vote for a fresh veggie tray.

Autumn Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 12:12:57 AM »

Are you a vegetarian?   Just trying to supplement your food variety...

Do you have a crockpot?    Many a hors d'oeuvres has been served from this...

The menu looks fine...since it is after dinner hour.   However, I might add *something* else.   
Something a little more hearty....

Real Mac and Cheese?
Store bought meatballs simmering on the stove?   Or crockpot?
Turkey and cheese mini sandwiches?   white bread - cut in triangles...people LOVE them!   

This is just 'cause I know my friends....a couple of cocktails and they want to EAT!   LOL

Toilet seat?    I like the blue dye idea.
Wonky looking seat?    dont worry about it

Have fun at your party!    It will be great!

Now you have to come up with a game plan if people stay too long!     ;)

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 02:33:47 AM »

Interested in this thread because I've got a stained, hard to clean toilet as well.
Stewart/Colbert '16

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »
I have lived in old places like that in the past. The blue water stuff is a great way to hide, plus it looks like you care about cleanliness.

lovepickles

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:11:43 AM »
Regarding the stains and pitting or rust or whatever use CLR on it. You can get it at the hardware store and it will take care of it. It stands for Calcium Lime and Rust Remover. It sounds like you've got some calcium buildup that is trapping stains. Be sure to ventilate and keep the CLR off your hands and clothes. It can be some seriously nasty stuff. I just used it on my dishwasher yesterday and it broke up some nasty deposits.

<3