Author Topic: A Great DMV Visit  (Read 1548 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
A Great DMV Visit
« on: June 29, 2012, 02:17:55 AM »
To apply to a department-independent law enforcement academy, I need a record of my driving record.  I went to my local DMV, no line, and got everything signed I needed to sign.  The woman behind the desk told me the total (all of $2.20) and I went to hand her my debit card.  "Cash only, unfortunately," she told me, frowning.  I sent Dark Boyfriend out to the car to see if we had enough change.  We were 45 cents short.  "No big deal, go ahead and take this," she said and handed to me my driving history.  I was kind of perplexed, checked to see if it was really okay, and thanked her profusely.  I figured that if the DMV took cash only, so did the police department where I was about to head to get fingerprinted, so I withdrew $20, got fingerprinted, then headed back to the DMV.

She was confused as to why I was there, handing her a ten dollar bill, and when it hit her that she had let me go and now I was back to actually pay, she started to laugh.  "I would have been so confused why my count was off by $2.20 tonight at closing.  I already forgot," she laughed, "At least you saved me from pulling out my hair and questioning my sanity tonight."  Then she thanked me for being an honest human being and returning with the money.

Really, she didn't have to do that for me and I never expected her to or asked her for it.  That was why I made sure to go back and pay, even if it was just $2.20.  What a wonderfully nice and trusting woman.  I hope to see her again just because she was so nice to me when she didn't have to be.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: A Great DMV Visit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
If she knew you were heading into law enforcement, maybe she was hoping you'd remember her when you pull her over for speeding.   ;D

I agree; a nice thing for her to do.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: A Great DMV Visit
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
That was nice of her to do, but I'm so glad you went back.

One of the best customers I ever had came back the day after I gave her too much change. That seven dollars she brought back saved me from getting written up for a short drawer and really turned around the terrible day I was having.

So, yay! for both of you.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning