Author Topic: Written compliments about employees  (Read 4402 times)

portabella

Written compliments about employees
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
Sometimes we complain (justifiably) about poor customer service and we forget about all the times we are taken care of by a nice, efficient person who goes over and above board.

Have you ever taken time to actually write a complimentary letter to someoneís supervisor or, better yet, corporate headquarters?  Iíve done this many times.  It can brighten their day and often result in a bonus or help them to get a raise or promotion.  I say written (typed, signed, and mailed) because a phone call or verbal compliment, while appreciated, is often forgotten.   A written compliment can be put into their HR file.

The first time someone shows you who they really are, pay attention.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
Re: Written compliments about employees
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
That's a good point about a written note being able to be put into their file. I routinely ask for a manager to report good service, and it's not at all uncommon for me to call later to compliment an employee/rave about my good experience. But I've never written a letter.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
I have not written a letter actually but I have gone online and filled out comment cards where I raved about the customer service naming names when I could.

We frequently will ask to see a manager and let them know when things are really good. We also let the waitperson know when we ask to see a manager that it is a GOOD thing, not a complaint.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
I've done that.  We had a courier guy who was always friendly, didn't grumble that he had to bring packages up to the third floor with no elevator, was always in early and apologized for missing the 9:00 am service on a day with one of the worst snowfalls of the winter - he was there by 9:30.  I sent a note to company.

I also called a pizza shop one day.  They had a delivery driver in my neighbourhood who wasn't driving like the proverbial bat out of hell.  My street is reasonably self contained so it isn't unusual for the kids to play ball hockey in the street and to see this guy going a reasonable speed was a nice change.

'Car!'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Yes, and thank you for the reminder. Wednesday I took Loren and Brett to Houston Museum of Natural Science. There was a group from an out of town school district. I just wrote them an e-mail complementing the kids behavior.

My grocery store is being remodeled. I've written several times about how well the staff is handling the remodel. The ONE time I couldn't find what I needed, a staff member was right there and found what I needed.

When things were being moved around at night they had flyiers posted at both ends of each aisle that had a map showing were everything was. They updated them each night.
 [size=78%] [/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
I have. I had a tyre go when I was far away from home, on a Sunday (restricted opening hours). I had to drive at 55mph due to the space saver spare tyre to the closest tyre garage. The staff fitted me four new tyres and had to stay late to do it. If they hadn't said they would then I would have been stuck across the country. I wrote via the website and had a letter back from management.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
Occasionally, I have. When I can, I send an e-mail and copy the employee as well.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
I've done it in online comment forms, but never written an actual letter.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »
I have. Most recently, I was at a Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop on Free Ice Cream Day. (I didn't even know it, just happy coincidence. :)) The workers were all so friendly and cheerful even though it was the end of a very long day for them, and the manager chatted with us while we sat outside eating so he could intercept people coming. They closed early on Free Ice Cream Day, but he was waiting to give them coupons for a free scoop some other time. I thought that was so nice of him, so I looked up the B&J website and found where to send in a comment. Apparently they sent it on to him right away, because he sent me an email the next day letting me know how much he appreciated it.

And it's really any level of worker that appreciates it! I'm a prosecutor, and sometimes we'll get a compliment sent to our elected official from another agency, a defense attorney, or a member of the public. Our elected always forwards that to the whole office to give that person kudos. It's a wonderful feeling, a nice warm glow. :)

learningtofly

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
I prefer to tell a manger if I can find one.  I've done this at Target and my grocery store.  The person has usually just solved my huge problem and I'm so grateful that I have to tell someone right then and there.  Both managers looked at me like I was nuts, but i wanted to tell them what a great job their staff was doing.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »

Oh, definitely. Usually i will find the store number (if it is a corporate place) and send something online. I am terrible at mailing things.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
I've written letters to corporate, completed online or phone surveys, and sought managers for in-person comments for staff who have been especially helpful.  I'm delighted to make sure their supervisors know how great they are at their jobs, so that they get whatever benefit (raises, promotions, bonuses) they can.  It takes me only a few minutes, but it could mean a great deal to them.

snowdragon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I have. I do every time I get an experience worth sharing.