Author Topic: Caller ID vs. personal identification UPDATE, pg. 2  (Read 7682 times)

Mikayla

Re: Caller ID vs. personal identification
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
I agree that this isn't a reason to NOT date him again.  However, I'd find it a little offputting, mainly because he's a potential romantic interest.    The only way caller ID helps (for me, anyway) is if I've assigned him a contact.  So I'd wonder if he was testing to see if I'd done that, or if he was testing to see if I'd remember his number (which I wouldn't have).  The other one I remember from my dating days is testing to see if I thought he was someone else.

I like the wording upthread on what to say to him. 

AllTheThings

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »
It's not something that would bother me, but if it bothers you, you could always ask him to say who he is when he calls. I actually had the opposite problem with someone once. Every time she called she would say, "Hi (name), this is Jane Smith, Jane Smith from (club)." And each time, I'm thinking, "I know who you are, you don't have to keep introducing yourself!"  :)

pinkflamingo

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:28 AM »
I've been meaning to update this.

After reading all the responses, I realized two things: 1) I really prefer that people identify themselves but 2) it's also not worth a fuss.

I did go out with the guy again and it went poorly for reasons totally unrelated to phone calls. I would ask him something about himself, he would answer, and then he would look expectantly at me. So, it was less of a conversation and more like an interview. Also, I think he was trying to get me to invite him to stay at my place that evening because it was hot and his power was out.

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Caller ID vs. personal identification UPDATE, pg. 2
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
I think the real test is to say "Hey, when you call me would you mind identifying yourself? You know, Hello, this is John?  I don't have/get caller id and I don't like having to figure out who it is." 
Then see if he will listen to your concerns.

But I see he has other communication issues so never mind.