Author Topic: Google Translate  (Read 1129 times)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
Google Translate
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »

On Facebook, I have friends from all over the world. They all speak English or French, but also a variety of first languages, in which they of course post updates. Once in a while, I get curious and translate what they post with Google. A Peruvian friend posted this in Spanish:

SOY PROFESORA ; y a veces he cambiado los ojos pintados por OJERAS; el cabello planchado por un MOÑO feo y despeinado, noches de fiesta por trasnochar planificando mis clases; carteras de moda por un BOLSO GRANDE (DONDE CABE HASTA EL PIZARRÓN). Soy maestra y NO ME IMPORTA NADA de lo que he tenido que dejar por el amor y la satisfacción de escuchar a un niño o niña...“MISS TE QUIERO". PEGA ESTO EN TU MURO SI AMAS SER MAESTRA..

And Google translate had this to say:

I am a teacher, and sometimes I have changed EYECUPS painted eyes, the hair pressing by a monkey ugly and messy, party nights by staying up all night planning my classes, portfolios of fashion for a BIG BAG (UP TO WHERE WHITEBOARD CABE). I'ma teacher and I do not care what I had to leave for the love and the satisfaction of hearing a child ... "I LOVE YOU MISS." Paste this into your WALL IF YOU LOVE TO BE MASTER ..

Monkey ugly and messy, eh?

Has Google Translate ever made you giggle?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:37:46 PM by BabylonSister »

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
Re: Google Translate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Every online translator I've used has made me giggle, or drop my jaw.. I couldn't remember any offhand, so I plugged in a couple of my favorite opera numbers. I picked the two funniest.

First, a line from "Trinke, Liebchen", in Act II of Johann Strauss II's Die Fledermaus:

In German, it's "Der uns äffet sehr" which, in English, is "Which mocks us greatly".

Babylon translation: "of the US affet very"   ;D - - Opera affects world relations!

Then there's this, from the end of the famous "Nessun Dorma!" (from Puccini's Turandot and sung by our hero, Calaf, with input from the chorus)

(Italian: "Dilegua, o notte!") which, in English, is "Vanish, o night!"

Babylon: "subsides, or night!"  ??? Interesting! I guess those folks in the chorus better "subsides", or Calaf will make it dark!

If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.

Nika

Re: Google Translate
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
Oh, I love to write something in English, translate it to some other language, then translate back to English to see what I end up with. It's good fun.

My favorite one? One time I wrote something about a clown, translated it to German (I think), and when I got it back it had changed clown to buffoonery teacher.

Buffoonery teacher! Ah, perfection.
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."