Author Topic: Green Salsa  (Read 1390 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Green Salsa
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
I have found a few green salsa recipes on the internet, but I prefer getting them from people to whom I have a closer connection.  Does anyone have some really great green salsa recipes out there?

Thanks!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

greencat

Re: Green Salsa
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
I made this one once and I liked it - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/three-chile-dry-roasted-tomatillo-salsa/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=green%20tomatillo%20salsa&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page.

I had to substitute another kind of hot pepper for the pequin, as those were not available at the grocery store - I think I used some dried arbol chiles and added a couple extra jalepenos to compensate for both the heat and the volume.  That sauce was really hot though!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »
Are you referring to a tomatillo based salsa?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
Are you referring to a tomatillo based salsa?

Yes, sorry, should have been clearer.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »
We like this recipe and I puree it a bit as I like mine more smooth.  But you can leave it chunky if you prefer.

http://chefinyou.com/2010/12/tomatillo-salsa-verde/

I also don't salt to taste till minutes before serving/eating.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
This is my recipe based on Rick Bayless's.  His has raw diced onion which I do not like.

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
Salsa Verde

Makes about 1 cup

Ingredients
8 ounces (3 to 4 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
Fresh hot green chiles to taste (1 or 2 serranos or 1 jalapenos), stemmed
1/4 small white onion
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
6 sprigs of fresh cilantro (thick bottom stems cut off), roughly chopped
Salt
Squeeze of lime

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions
Roast the tomatillos, chile(s), onion and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler, until blotchy black and softening (they’ll be turning from lime green to olive), about 5 minutes.  Flip them over and roast the other side.  Cool, then transfer everything to a blender, including all the delicious juice the tomatillos have exuded during roasting. Add the cilantro and squeeze of lime, then blend to a coarse puree. Add water to get preferred consistency. 

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Unfortunately I have not been able to try any of them yet, but I will let you know when I do.