Author Topic: Menu suggestions for dinner party  (Read 3150 times)

MrsCrazyPete

Re: Menu suggestions for dinner party
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
Ooh and as a side dish you could roast those little tri-colored potatoes. The tiny ones that are bite sized! They're so little and cute and they taste crispy and delicious. (I love any excuse to buy them!)
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
Ooh and as a side dish you could roast those little tri-colored potatoes. The tiny ones that are bite sized! They're so little and cute and they taste crispy and delicious. (I love any excuse to buy them!)

Alton Brown has this recipe for boiling potatoes in extra salty water.  When removed from the water and dried, they get a salty exterior that is delish.  I halved this recipe with success.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/perfect-fingerling-potatoes-recipe/index.html

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Here's a chicken recipe that is simple but impressive (especially the aroma):

12 chicken breasts (boned, but with skin left on)

2 sticks butter
6 tbsp dijon mustard
1 cup shelled walnuts
1/2 cup cognac

Blend 2nd 4 ingredients in food processor, fill pastry gun and inject under chicken skin.  Place in 375-degree pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast meat.

Skin will not brown; it's there to hold in the flavor.  Strip off when removing chicken from oven.  Serve with long-grain and wild rice side dish and green veg or salad.

This butter mixture also works well served with French bread beforehand.

Thanks, Venus -- my mouth is watering. I'll have to try this. ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I served this in the SCA once to 120 people and there wasn't a bite left afterward.  That was a proud night for me.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
Here's some ideas for passed appetizers for the summer months.

Grilled shrimp with an herb vinagrette dipping sauce
Mini crab cakes
Prosciutto and Guyere pinwheels

I made this up yesterday for a get together based on things I had on hand and they were very popular and colorfull.
I created a mango avocado salsa by dicing mango, avocado, and red bell pepper very finely.  I added some smoked salt, lime juice and olive oil and some hot sauce to taste.  I seasoned some shrimp with cumin, chili powder, salt, and a little coconut oil and then quickly grilled.  The shrimp were large so I sliced them in half lengthwise.  I put belgien endive leaves on a cold platter and spread some salsa in each and then topped with one of the shrimp.

For mains, grilled butterflied leg of lamb is nice.  I also like roasted halibut for summer dinner parties.