Author Topic: Where did "pass the bean dip?" come from?  (Read 753 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Where did "pass the bean dip?" come from?
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
Anybody know if it's a phrase coined by these boards, or used generally?  I'm just curious, because somebody used it (correctly) on a homeschool site that I frequent.  I'm wondering if an eHellion phrase has escaped to the wide world of the Internet, or if it started elsewhere and we just really like it.  :)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Where did "pass the bean dip?" come from?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
I always took "pass the bean dip" to be a euphemism . . . Oh! Look! Shiny object over there. A way to dis-way the conversation at hand.

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Looking around the 'net it appears a homeschooler blogged about bean dipping way back in 2007.  But I also found a conversation on another forum from a month before the blog post using the term as well.  The person didn't have to explain what bean dipping was so it appears to have been in use for some time.

I think it is a variation on "How's "local sports team" doing?" http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-567165.html
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
It looks like it wasn't an eHell coined phrase, maybe a regional variant, due to how easily it is understood.  A Google search turns up no results before 2000, with the earliest being 1 result in 2002, 3 in 2003, and almost no further usage until 2006 or 2007, where it seems to have sprung into popularity.

AKA, I don't think it's from eHell, but I do think it's from a local, English phrase.  :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:33 PM »
I guess it's like "How 'bout those Cubs?"
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »
I guess it's like "How 'bout those Cubs?"

Or in my region, "How 'bout dem O's, hon?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata