Author Topic: Silly things to do  (Read 1578 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Silly things to do
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
You know the stuff you do, that you don't have a good reason for, and might not like to admit to but you do anyway?

Nothing nasty or unpleasant, just little, silly things you do that make you "you." (<<Seriously took about a minute to decide where that period went. Inside the quotes, outside the quotes? It looked weird outside the quotes.)

I:

• fold sugar packet papers, mint papers, well any small piece of paper I can make into a square into origami figures in resturaunts. Usually cranes, since I pretty much memorized that, but sometimes little hearts or hopping frogs. If its a frog then I am obligated to try and hop it into my friend's empty drink glass before we leave. If it falls on the floor I pick it up, but if it doesn't it just stays on the table when we leave. Once at a long meal (the place was crowded and service was slow) I left no fewer than eight cranes out of various materials on the table as we left. I feel bad since its kinda trash, but its trash that would have been there anyway, just now its folded and easier to toss out.
  • collect the strings from feed bags. I used to claim I was gonna make a feed bag doily, but I hate joining when I crochet, so now I might knit something. Like a three foot strip of useless knitting out of useless string. Sometimes the string isn't white, its red or brown. I could knit a picture, except I'm not good and knitting. Maybe I ought to try embroidery.
  • Remember the origami? I tried making 1000 cranes out of hershey miniture wrappers. I stopped at 43 when I ran out of papers and realized there was no way to get more easter colored wrappers. Then easter came by again and they changed the colors. I think that may just be an excuse. I hung all my cranes on a plastic evergreen strand at christmas tho.
  • I paint my dog's nails sometimes. Because she's "sassy" and its cute. Then I forgot I painted them, they mostly chipped away and one day I freaked out because her nail is bleeding. But it wasn't, it was just red paint.

I'm surely not the only person with these kind of hobbies, right?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Silly things to do
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
I have developed a bit of an obsession with glass jars. I cannot bring myself to throw them away; I'm convinced that I can find a good use for them. One rule though; they must have metal lids. If they are plastic I want nothing to do with them. My husband even got a local sandwich shop to give me two large, industrial size pickle jars! I still don't know what I'm going to do with them, but the possibilities are endless!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
Gel pens.  I have them in every color made and love them dearly. 
I use them for crosswords and always have a variety of colors in my bag. 

JennJenn68

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
When I go into a restaurant that has the cutlery wrapped up in a cloth napkin (seems to be the standard for most places around here now) I have to unwrap the silverware and place it the "proper" way before I can even so much as take a sip of my drink.  (And my drink always has to be placed precisely in the right spot--to me, it's about a centimetre exactly north of the tip of the knife.)

The next one I can sort of understand because I used to work in a bookstore.  Whenever I go into any bookstore, I find myself "facing" the shelves and re-shelving misplaced books.  It doesn't matter what section I'm in; I'll do 'em all.  ('Twould be nice if I could be so exacting with our own book collection, but it's such a higgledy-piggledy assortment and it keeps multiplying at an exponential rate so we simply don't have enough shelf space and I can't keep up!  I've stopped buying books completely because of this... but, alas, DH has not, and as long as new aviation and railway books keep being released, I don't see this changing!)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
Yes, JenJen 68. 

As a retired librarian I will do some tidying up of books on tables.  I do not go into the shelved books because I know that therein lies madness.  However, if I can neaten the tables of 'Local Authors' or 'New Paperback Releases', I will do so.  It just comes automatically to a librarian. 

RiverSong

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
If I see dirty dishes all piled up willy nilly by the sink (you know the ones in a precarious tower waiting for the last straw to fall crashing to the floor) I will re-stack them. It's safer and it gives more counter space for dirty dishes before you are forced to wash them.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
collect the strings from feed bags. I used to claim I was gonna make a feed bag doily, but I hate joining when I crochet, so now I might knit something. Like a three foot strip of useless knitting out of useless string. Sometimes the string isn't white, its red or brown. I could knit a picture, except I'm not good and knitting. Maybe I ought to try embroidery.

Two words.
Spool knitting. :)
Takes no attention and no particular coordination.
Sit in front of the TV and use up your string.
Then use the result to make a rolled rug or some hot-pads for your table!  :D

edited to fix quote tree
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:31:46 PM by White Dragon »

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
I love notebooks, just not the regular sized ones.  Right now I have a pile of 5 inch by 7 inch ones on my desk, all except for the newest one full of shortcuts for my transcription shortcut program. 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »
My husband and I stack our dishes when we are done eating at a restaurant.  I try to put the disposable items, like napkins, on a place separate from the regular silverware, etc.  The bus person could probably care less.   :P
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:46:30 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
Probably not silly, but I keep a couple of sketchbooks next to my recliner chair and a jar of pencils, different kinds of pens (micro, fine tipped sharpies that don't smell), a little pencil sharpener, some erasers, and a bed pillow that I put on my lap to use as a drawing table.  I'm a constant doodler and this way I can look back at my doodles without having a ton of scraps of paper around.   I always doodled during meetings at work and the boss didn't seem to mind.  He knew, I guess, that this is how some people listen, and I was an active participator in the meetings so he knew I was 100% there.  He asked me if he could have one of my doodles after a meeting, once.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »
I have developed a bit of an obsession with glass jars. I cannot bring myself to throw them away; I'm convinced that I can find a good use for them. One rule though; they must have metal lids. If they are plastic I want nothing to do with them. My husband even got a local sandwich shop to give me two large, industrial size pickle jars! I still don't know what I'm going to do with them, but the possibilities are endless!

I love jars. I have no use for them but I adore them. :)

collect the strings from feed bags. I used to claim I was gonna make a feed bag doily, but I hate joining when I crochet, so now I might knit something. Like a three foot strip of useless knitting out of useless string. Sometimes the string isn't white, its red or brown. I could knit a picture, except I'm not good and knitting. Maybe I ought to try embroidery.

Two words.
Spool knitting. :)
Takes no attention and no particular coordination.
Sit in front of the TV and use up your string.
Then use the result to make a rolled rug or some hot-pads for your table!  :D

edited to fix quote tree

oooo.... good plan.

Now i need a spool.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]