Author Topic: The boy with the mohawk  (Read 2236 times)

Jaelle

The boy with the mohawk
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
YDS, 4, is participating in a children's athletic program. Because ODS' summer program doesn't start until next week and I work days, DH has had to take ODS with him to YDS' program. (This is allowed.)

Now, ODS, 7, has Down Syndrome. He's at a pretty high level, but he's visibly different. And in some ways he's socially behind YDS. But he's a good kid and likes to talk to people. He's been a bit bored at YDS' program, because most people are busy with their own stuff and ignore him. And don't get me wrong, I don't blame people for that at all, but something happened today that I think was really awfully nice. :)

DS was watching YDS take part in a competition, while ODS sat next to him and watched. DH said he was fairly obviously bored.

Another little boy about DS' age, with a bright red, white and blue-colored mohawk hairstyle, came up to him, said "Hi, buddy!" and sat down next to him. They chatted for a bit (DS' vocabulary is limited, but DH said the other little boy worked with that gamely) and then the other boy had to go off for an event.

A bit later, they were watching another event, and the same boy came back, sat down with ODS and talked with him some more. When he stood up, DH thanked him. The boy looked at him and said, "He reminds me of my little brother," bid ODS farewell and went off. His time, though, just about made ODS' day. More than anything else, I think he wants to be treated just like the other kids.

DS later found the boy's mom and told her what a kind son she had.

The whole story makes me sniffle a little. :)
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Ceallach

• This Is It
Re: The boy with the mohawk
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
That's beautiful!   :D

I always felt lucky as a kid that we had a broad social circle, we had friends with downs syndrome so were used to just hanging out and chatting with them as we would with anybody.    I've met many people as adults who aren't sure how to deal with people with downs syndrome or other conditions that make them a bit different, so they get uncomfortable or awkward around them. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Isometric

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
That gave me goosebumps! What a sweet kid!

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
What a wonderful story!  I predict that young fellow's compassion and kindness will carry him far in life.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
What a lovely thing to do.  I'm trying to hold back the tears.

One small action can make such an impact on another person. I'm sure your son will never forget him!