Author Topic: Deviled Eggs...  (Read 9971 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Deviled Eggs...
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
...do you make them and, if so how?

Here, they're a party staple but Mr. Thipu and I have quite different views on the subject.

In his family, deviled eggs were made with Colman's powdered mustard, mayonnaise and paprika.  In my family. We used mayo, prepared brown mustard and catsup. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Deviled Eggs...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »
The only way to make deviled eggs wrong is when someone put sugar in them. What the? No ma'am, no sugar!

Other than that, I am small-C catholic as regards deviled eggs. Leave the sweet spices alone, and go to town with the savories.
Words mean things.

misha412

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Yes, on occasion I make them for family, though I don't eat them myself.

Mayo
Yellow mustard
a bit of relish
a bit of jalapeno pepper
salt
pepper
paprika as a garnish/flavoring

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
Mine are really simple:

Finely chopped scallions (1 per three or four eggs and use at least 4 inches of the green)
Green Goddess salad dressing
cayenne pepper

Mash yolks (3 or 4 at a time), add scallions, sprinkle in cayenne.  Add dressing a little at a time; you want the mixture to hold together without being too wet.  Fill whites, add a sprinkling of cayenne.

The resulting color is like the early green budding on trees, so this became a staple of the St Patrick's Day menu.  BTW, Amazon has this:

and this:

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
I use mashed up cooked yolks, sweet pickle relish, and Miracle Whip.

DMIL uses dry mustard in her recipe, and always made them until about 24 or 25 years ago when MiddleDD was about 5 or 6. At a family dinner, MIL asked her if she wanted an egg. She said, "No thank you. I like Mommy's better." I have been the egg maker since then.

SoCalVal

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:41 PM »
Mayo, mustard (any), salt and black pepper with paprika sprinkled on top; I'm still tweaking the recipe to get the most satisfactory balance.  I've found that filling them goes wonderfully quickly when using a pastry bag (and it's more visibly appealing that way) and once brought deviled eggs to work specifically so I could use my stackable deviled egg containers I had just acquired (I'm a kitchen gadget geek).

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 12:32:02 PM »
I have never heard of catsup in deviled eggs. (But that's not to say it's right or wrong, just hadn't heard of that version)

I make mine with real mayo, stone ground mustard or coleman mustard powder and a dash of hot sauce with salt/pepper.  Garnish with paprika.  I also often add beau monde seasoning. (a celery mix)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:41 PM »
Mine are really simple:

Finely chopped scallions (1 per three or four eggs and use at least 4 inches of the green)
Green Goddess salad dressing
cayenne pepper

Mash yolks (3 or 4 at a time), add scallions, sprinkle in cayenne.  Add dressing a little at a time; you want the mixture to hold together without being too wet.  Fill whites, add a sprinkling of cayenne.

Is your green goddess dressing like mine and prepared with avocado?  I am trying to think of how it would taste in a deviled eggs recipe.

SoCalVal

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
I do use "real" mayo in mine (Best Foods in this case, which is Hellman's on the east coast) but didn't specify in my earlier post since I don't consider Miracle Whip mayo (but thought I should clarify here since others might mean Miracle Whip when they say "mayo.").  Was just looking at Cook's Illustrated and saw a mayonnaise taste test that included Miracle Whip (which they don't consider mayo, either, but so many do so they included it).  I figured if even Cook's Illustrated feels the need to include Miracle Whip as mayo, I should bend and consider it as well.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has tried adding vinegar or making them with homemade mayo?  I'm interested in what the taste difference is (I might be making deviled eggs next week and don't want to tinker with a new recipe for a full batch and end up ruining them).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
Zilla, I use the Kraft Green Goddess dressing:

I used to have a friend send it to me from Texas, but now I can get it in Target.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
My deviled eggs are always requested for family gatherings! It makes me very proud. :)  That reminds me, I need to make some for our July 4th pool party this weekend.

My ingredients include both dill and sweet relish, mayo for texture, and dijon mustard, horseradish, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce for kick. You end up with a very smooth, tangy filling.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:01:43 PM »
Mom taught me to make them with mayo, pickle sweet cubes and paprika. Good, but kinda boring. A friend made them with mustard, bacon and jalapenos once and I'm hooked; that's how I make them now. Yummy!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
Is anyone remembering the thread where someone suggested bringing one deviled egg (as in a half an egg) per person per party?  Can anyone eat one deviled egg?

Lynnv

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
Is anyone remembering the thread where someone suggested bringing one deviled egg (as in a half an egg) per person per party?  Can anyone eat one deviled egg?

Yikes!  That would cause a riot around here. 

Mine have:
Mayo (not Miracle Whip)
Mustard.   Usually Dijon, but I use yellow if I am out of Dijon. 
Worcestershire
Cider vinegar
A dash of tobasco. 

I sometimes add green onions, finely minced shallots, bacon, capers or chopped olives.   Just depends on what I am in the mood for. 

And I consider peeling hard boiled eggs one of the worst kitchen duties AND I tend to mangle them, so the fact that you can now buy 24 cooked, peeled eggs at Costco saves my sanity.   :)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »

That suggestion was a while back and I laughed.  When I make the ones I described I had to allow for at least three pieces per guest.