Author Topic: Deviled Eggs...  (Read 8731 times)

wheeitsme

Re: Deviled Eggs...
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »
Mayo, buttermilk ranch dressing mix, a little vinegar.

SoCalVal

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »
Is anyone remembering the thread where someone suggested bringing one deviled egg (as in a half an egg) per person per party?  Can anyone eat one deviled egg?

Yikes!  That would cause a riot around here. 

Mine have:
Mayo (not Miracle Whip)
Mustard.   Usually Dijon, but I use yellow if I am out of Dijon. 
Worcestershire
Cider vinegar
A dash of tobasco. 

I sometimes add green onions, finely minced shallots, bacon, capers or chopped olives.   Just depends on what I am in the mood for. 

And I consider peeling hard boiled eggs one of the worst kitchen duties AND I tend to mangle them, so the fact that you can now buy 24 cooked, peeled eggs at Costco saves my sanity.   :)

After doing a bit of research online months ago, I learned, and have used, these two very useful tips for preparing boiled eggs that are low- to no-mangle -- let them age about two weeks after you buy them (I've tried one week, and it's not long enough) and put baking soda in the water.  I've tried one week with baking soda, and the shells still stick.  I've tried two weeks and no baking soda, and the shells don't stick as much but still stick.  I've found success at two-weeks old and baking soda, and the shells come off very easily without mangling the egg (I've seen the pre-peeled hard-boiled eggs but would prefer to do my own when possible).

veryfluffy

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
I had a glut of eggs (too many chickens), so since they are apparently very popular in some places, I offered to bring some american-style devilled eggs over when we were invited to a friend's for a dinner party. I basically did more or less the standard recipes being posted here, nothing fancy. They looked nice, tasted fine to me.

They were not a hit. Devilled eggs aren't part of the standard appetiser menu here (UK), and no one seemed very interested in them at all. I think the dog got most of what I brought.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
And I consider peeling hard boiled eggs one of the worst kitchen duties AND I tend to mangle them, so the fact that you can now buy 24 cooked, peeled eggs at Costco saves my sanity.   :)

Someone posted a link to the Breakfast Wizard (or something like that) in another thread with how to peel eggs perfectly. Basically, put a tiny crack in each shell (I tap them with a spoon) and let them sit in cold water for 5 minutes. The steam gets inside and expands the shell so there's a little space between it and the egg.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »
When I pour the hot water out after boiling I crack the shells and then put the eggs under cold running water for a few minutes.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
I don't have any problem peeling hard-boiled eggs.  I'm not quite sure why but here's what I do.

Using a push-pin, I punch a hole in each end of the egg. 

Place the eggs in a saucepan with enough water to cover. 

Bring to a boil and boil for about ten minutes. 

Allow to cool a bit.

Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water.

Refrigerate eggs until cool, at least half an hour before peeling. 

I've always had good results with this method.  Just watch, next time I try it, the shells will stick all over the place.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
Has anyone found a way to kill the odor of cooked eggs?

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »
I like to know also, Venus.

I opened the frig not long ago, and the smell of cooked eggs wafted out. P-U stinky.

Maybe an open box of baking soda?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
i am american but live in israel. deviled eggs isn't a big staple here. in fact, now that i ponder,  i don't think i've ever seen them at a party or buffet (other than maybe other ex-pats...)

I make them with mayo and mustard, dust with paprika and like to garnish with dill.  when i'm in a diet mood, i make them with yogurt and mustard instead of mayo.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lynnv

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
I don't have any problem peeling hard-boiled eggs.  I'm not quite sure why but here's what I do.

I have no idea why I have such trouble peeling HB eggs.  Once in a while I will have good luck (old eggs consistantly help-but I still have problems).  But no technique seems to work for me everytime. 

That leads me to believe that I am just not good at it.  And it makes me frustrated.  And I lose patience.  Which makes me worse at it.  Which makes me more frustrated.  And I lose more patience.  And I get worse at it.  And so on.   :P

So I have given in and I just buy the pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs from Costco and it saves me much frustration and makes my eggs much, much prettier.   If and when they quit selling them, then I will go back to muttering nasty words under my breath as I try, and fail, to cleanly peel them for myself.  If I didn't love deviled eggs so, it would be much more annoying.

;D
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
My deviled egs are a signature and requested at every friend & family gathering.  I put horseradish in mine with mayo, mustard and lemon juice and top with paprika.  I always prepare the night before.  I think it lets the flavors meld to perfection.

I am loving some of these ideas I am seeing here.  I love mine but I see other great flavors to try too, might find a combination I like better.

BB-VA

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
The family recipe calls for mayonnaise, yellow mustard, cider vinegar, celery seed, and a dash of salt.     Some family members sprinkle with paprika, but I've never bothered. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »
The family recipe calls for mayonnaise, yellow mustard, cider vinegar, celery seed, and a dash of salt.     Some family members sprinkle with paprika, but I've never bothered.

I sprinkle with paprika just because everyone asks me where it is if I don't. :)  It's a visual thing, not a flavor one.

BB-VA

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »

I sprinkle with paprika just because everyone asks me where it is if I don't. :)  It's a visual thing, not a flavor one.

Exactly.  If it doesn't add flavor, why bother (got that from Alton Brown)?  Nobody has complained (at least not where I could hear them).
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

mandycorn

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
I make mine with mayo, brown mustard, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and sprinkle with paprika. My mom leaves out the onion and garlic when she makes hers and about had a fit when she saw me doing it, but everybody likes them, so I leave it in!

Funny deviled egg story:
For the past couple years at family gatherings after the eggs have been served I've been seeing some eggs topped with an extra glob of filling and wondering where it was coming from. Turns out my little sister who always requests deviled eggs and claims to love them actually only likes the whites with the barest hint of filling, so she dumps out the middle on the next egg over so somebody else gets a double helping. Once I found that out, I asked why she didn't just request hard boiled eggs and save me the trouble, but she says they aren't party food like deviled eggs... It's a good thing I like eating them otherwise I'd stop making them at her request!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln