Author Topic: Herbed cole slaw  (Read 997 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Herbed cole slaw
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:05:48 PM »
Opinions - would you all like this?

Ok so I have a farm share and am overwhelmed with veggies this year.  And I'm off to a party this weekend so I decided I'd make an herbed cole slaw-ish salad.  I want to stay away from a mayo base, because I don't know about refrigeration once we're there (its a backyard party).

The ingredients I want to use include (all organic, farm fresh)
Cabbage
Carrots
White onion
(maybe) zuchinni

Herbs (fresh):
Summer savory
Lemon thyme
Lemon Verbena
Marjoram

I'm thinking I'll make a dressing with the herbs and some white wine vinegar, some [local] honey and olive oil and a bit of salt in the food processor (to really super fine chop the herbs) and toss it with the veggies, which I'll shred cole slaw style.

Does that sound like something most people would eat?  Any opinions on adding or not adding the zucchini?

If not any other ideas?  I also have tons of lettuce (bibb, red leaf, Romaine), radicchio, escarole,rainbow shard, kale and beets on hand.  (I was sort of considering doing a beet-goat cheese-onion salad just tossed with some red wine vinegar.)

Edited to change herbs... because I don't know my own stash  ::)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:38:56 PM by WillyNilly »

EmmaJ.

Re: Herbed cole slaw
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »
I would absolutely love it.  I grew up in farm country so I may be a little biased.   :D   

I see you also have some radicchio - why not add a little shredded radicchio to the mix for a little color?

And beets + goat cheese = major yum!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Thanks!  I was thinking of the radicchio - exactly for the color - but I was afraid it would be too bitter for most people.  Me?  I'd eat it just fine though.  Maybe I will reconsider adding it.

Yup, I love me some beet & goat cheese salad!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
I'd eat it.  I have a farm share, too, so I know the challenges of trying to use all the veggies.  If you are shredding the zucchini, particularly green with the peel still on, shredding the carrots and shredding the radicchio, it would look really good.  I find that zucchini takes on the flavour of what it is with so it really is only for some colour.

My only concern is that I'm not sure the tarragon will go well with the savoury and the thyme.  Have you tried that combination before?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
I did make a batch of the dressing as regular salad dressing and its super flavorful, but it does go ok I think.  I try to keep the herb flavors balanced.  Truth be told there is another herb I have too but I'm not quite sure what it is, that I'll be throwing in there as well.  Its a very green dressing for sure!

ETA: and yeah i got my herbs wrong anyway. Its Lemon Verbena and Marjoram, and Summer Savory and Lemon Thyme.  Its definitely got a citrus aroma to it, but its not too lemony tasting.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 03:40:04 PM by WillyNilly »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
That sounds better.  Tarragon has a hint of licorice and I didn't think it would go with the savoury, let alone the lemon thyme!   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
Yeah I didn't think it was tarragon but looking at pictures on the internet it was closest... Lemon Verbena is not all that common, at least not when you just google image "herbs"  :P  (I had to email my farmer to find out what they were.  These herbs are HUGE.  NY has had a weird growing season and its bounty crop year.)

I'm glad to know others would at least try the salad.  I'm such a "eat veggies!" person I don't always realize some people freak out over too many greens and weird versions of stuff.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »
Sounds yummy -- especially the dressing.

Yes. I think you should add the zucchini. Maybe Julienne them instead of shredding . . . since they're a moist veggie, shredding might make your salad a bit soggy.

Any chance you have broccoli? Peel the broccoli stems (cut off about an inch or so from the bottom) and then julienne them for an added crispy crunch.