Author Topic: Weird things your pets do  (Read 15870 times)

lkdrymom

Weird things your pets do
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
I have a ten month old Maine Coon named Rudi. He is the love of my life. But he just ain't right.  His biggest quirk is that throw rugs facinate him. He HAS TO CRAWL UNDER each and every one. Our kitchen has several and every morning his ritual is to pull up everyone and hide under it.  He also has a thing for plastic wrap and bags. We have to hide them or he will eat them.

Blossom is my 10 year old Siamese. Her thing is ribbon...like the type you wrap Christmas presents with. She has to lick them.  All our presents under the tree get a good licking. She also takes offence at garland...tinsil or imitation pine, doesn't matter. If you put it up she pulls it down. For years it wasn't Christmas until you heard me yelling 'D@mmit Blossom"...that was like Merry Christmas in our house.  I admit defeat...we no longer decorate with garland.

Vincenzo our 2 year old Maine Coon sees ghosts.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird things your pets do
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
Peggy has a plastic fetish, too.  Although she just licks it; she doesn't eat it.

Sassy dips her paw in the water bowl then licks the water off.  I did catch her drinking normally today, though.

My previous cat, Misty, loved to play with the curlicue ribbon.  Which I let her do until the day it was coming out her butt!

And the one before that, Tuffy, liked to ride down the hill from the bush, sitting in front of my Dad on the ATC (All Terrain Cycle - 3 wheels instead of 4).

My very first cat, Blackie, was a real hunter.  He was a big black cat and hated any other animal coming on his property, especially if it was black.  And what colour are skunks?!?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:21:52 PM »
Boris, aka his Lordship, had a thing about newspapers.  he'd get on top of a stack of them, and start shredding them.  NOt all the time, but every now and then, and if you tried to take them away from him, he'd give you the kitty death glare. 

he also loves the smell of eucalyptus.  my mom had a small Christmas tree made out of it, and he'd get up on the cabinet it was on, and just sniff it.  What was funny is he hated any other kind of scent, or flagrance, but loved that darn tree.

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
Our cat, Stuey, loves to play with packing paper. I bought something breakable which the shop wrapped with packing paper. I left it on the countertop and he went up there and drug it down. He keeps it on his blanket and lays under it, or runs from across the room and pounces onto it.

His current piece of paper has been living next to his blanket for almost two months. It used to be 2 square feet, and now it's down to three maybe 8 inch square scraps. I don't dare throw them out, he loves them so much.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
My late cousin's kitty, Noel, LOVED tissue paper.  she always had a few sheets on the floor for her, and NOel would roll on it, shred it, and have a great time with it.

Pippen

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »
I was looking after someones cat for a few months and if I left the attic door open he would be in there like a shot and not come out for days. He would spend all night wandering around in the ceiling cavities in my bedroom with his bell tinkling away. Once I was having a shower and I looked up and he was peering down at me through the extractor fan in the ceiling. He was a weird cat. I have no idea how he managed to get into that unit.

finecabernet

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 09:33:50 PM »
My cat Lucinda loves to yank out large tufts of her fur. It's not a nervous thing. It's just something she's always done. She also likes to wake me up in the middle of the night when she wants affection by digging her claws in my scalp. It always gets a reaction for her.

lkdrymom

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
Forgot to mention the beta fish bowl. Vincenzo and Rudi love to stick their paw in and swish around. Then they lick the water off. Now my elderly balck cat does it too. You will see a line of cats waiting to jump onto the top of the computer desk where the fish bowls are. For extra fun if mom (me) is sitting at the computer...she loves it when you shake a wet paw at her.

Vincenzo also has a thing for the hard wood floor polish we use. It must be made of cat nip.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
I was looking after someones cat for a few months and if I left the attic door open he would be in there like a shot and not come out for days. He would spend all night wandering around in the ceiling cavities in my bedroom with his bell tinkling away. Once I was having a shower and I looked up and he was peering down at me through the extractor fan in the ceiling. He was a weird cat. I have no idea how he managed to get into that unit.

You just reminded me of something His Lordship would do.  We had under the eaves attic storage, so basically two doors on either side of the upstairs hall. He loved to go in there, and if you went anywhere near that door, he'd be there like a shot!  And cry piteously to be let in.  So you'd let him in, he'd bolt and wander around.  He got locked in several times too, and you'd hear this faint "merrrrow" and know he got locked in.  I don't know why he was so fascinated by it, but he was.  I loved that cat, but he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Loveable, but not that swift.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »
Our oldest cat once hopped into the dryer when my back was turned, and the door got shut. Later, I realized that I hadn't seen him for awhile and started calling for him. I heard this muted meow, and thought he had gotten stuck somewhere.

Several years later, I had left the dryer door open to transfer wet things from the washer to the dryer, and when I turned back to the dryer, our male cat had hopped in and was marking the dryer as his. <ew>

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
One of my cats has a favorite toy I call Carrot.

This is Carrot:

There is a velcro sealed pouch where you insert a sort of tea bag full of catnip. I haven't done that in ages, although I do occasionally rub Carrot with catnip.

Carrot is very old. The feathers are gone. My cat does not want to play with Carrot when I am around. But apparently Carrot is a favorite when I am gone. I will return to find Carrot in all sorts of places. On my bed. In the bathtub. On the computer desk. On the sofa. Under the sofa. On the floor in some random room of the house.

I would love to know exactly what the cat and Carrot are getting up to in my absence.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Miriam

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
My cat Mulan was accidentally spanked once with a fly swatter, and now she can't get enough of it. She chews on it, drools on it, so we jokingly tap her belly with it but she wants more. She's known as super freak now.
"All Was Well"

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:56:59 AM »
Haiku (the pup in my avatar) can't stand to see anyone leave the house.  If he thinks someone is leaving, he grabs the nearest toy and starts growling and shaking it like it's prey.  This is fine (if highly annoying) when he does it with his own toys, but usually he can't find anything of his close enough.  So then he'll growl and shake shoes, toddler toys, plastic cups, and occasionally DH's freeweights (which Haiku can't even lift, but he sure tries!).  It's like he panics and can't do a proper freak-out unless he has something to shake.  One memorable time I found him with a tiny scrap of a receipt clenched delicately between his front teeth, which he tried hard to pretend was something more ferocious.

Of course, he's gotten more perceptive about people leaving, too.  When he was a pup, it was just hearing the word "Goodbye."  Then he picked up on the sound of keys jingling.  Now it seems like everything sets him off: keys, goodbyes, anyone putting on shoes, anyone standing up purposefully, the phrase "headed back to work" (even if it's midnight and we're in bed when DH says it!), etc.  I got in the habit of giving DH a kiss before he left the house each morning - now Haiku freaks out whenever DH and I kiss  ::)  (As a result, the first step in any game of Scrabble nowadays is to put the dogs out before opening up the game box, so to speak.)

Kiki, our other mutt, has simply discovered that her secret calling is to dig through the dirty laundry, find my undergarments, and drag them outside for some fresh air.  I have to do a sweep every time the lawn guy comes.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »
Peggy has a plastic fetish, too.  Although she just licks it; she doesn't eat it.

Sassy dips her paw in the water bowl then licks the water off.  I did catch her drinking normally today, though.

My previous cat, Misty, loved to play with the curlicue ribbon.  Which I let her do until the day it was coming out her butt!

And the one before that, Tuffy, liked to ride down the hill from the bush, sitting in front of my Dad on the ATC (All Terrain Cycle - 3 wheels instead of 4).

My very first cat, Blackie, was a real hunter.  He was a big black cat and hated any other animal coming on his property, especially if it was black.  And what colour are skunks?!?
Our cat licks plastic bags, too.  And she thinks the bag of cough drops are her snacks because they come in a zip locked bag, too.  She also won't drink from her water bowl, but insists on having the bathroom faucet turned on to a thin stream for her to lick at.  She has fresh water, but loves that blasted faucet.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 04:33:27 AM »
Matilda, the envelope eater, comes to mind. We now have a cage for letters because she loves the seal on envelopes, and will do anything to get at the gum.

She also likes playing with a jangle ball - a small felt ball with a bell in it. Her really odd one was working out that she can wait for us to roll her ball for her, or pick it up and drop it in the bath. When she pats it away it rolls back to her... and one of these days, she'll do that when there is water in there.